Evening out colour on Linseed oiled Walnut work surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We kept a washing up brush pot on our walnut kitchen work surface for way too long and black mould set in.

I planed and sanded it down and thought I'd got rid of it but when I re-oiled the section it came out way darker than the rest of the surface.

I thought the mould had gone deeper and I couldn't see it while dry, so I sanded further down, so now it's too low compared with the rest.

I'd like to minimise the problem. Not much I can do about the wood lost but I'd like to even the colour if possible.

I wondered if rather than the mould it might be that I didn't sand it with fine enough paper so the rough surface is catching and holding more oil.

Does that make any sense? If that might be the case I'd like to sand down a bit further to make it smoother and so lighter after oiling.

Could anyone give me a tip here? A sand paper grade to use perhaps? or some other way to lighten and even out the colour.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll try that.

Does anyone know if the roughness of the wood affects the colour once oiled?

Cheers

Thanks, I'll try that.

Does anyone know if the roughness of the wood affects the colour once oiled?

Cheers

Wood can change through the grain so the finish will probably be different not helped by the amount of material removed but it's not going to be be a huge difference if it's evenly applied.

Sponsored Links
Oxalic acid bleaches out black stain from wood.

You can get it from places that sell wood stuff. Liberion might do it.

I'm sitting here looking at some walnut, and the colour fluctuates. Not just within the grain, but it has "figure"

You could use wood dye such as Colron, very sparingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back