Everest Windows Leaking Air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed a draught coming through a window recently so took a good look at it.

It's an Everest window fitted perhaps 10 years ago. Looking at the opening part, the seal compresses down to 3mm at the handle side, but on the hinge side the gap varies between 4.5 and 6mm. At 6mm, the frame doesn't touch the seal and air blows around.

So, question to the uPVC window gurus ... are the seals just worn out due to age? Can the hinges be adjusted to narrow the gap and make the seal? I've had a good look but can't see anything. If I strip out the seals and replace, can anyone recommend a seal with a suitable profile and compression properties?

Sponsored Links
Worn or damaged hinge(s). Should be easy enough to fix/ replace.

It would as said point to worn or damaged hinges especially at that age, if you open up the window take a look at the hinge side in the corners, here you should see maybe a black plastic V shaped cup receiver on the frame portion of the hinge, the opener side of the hinge will have what looks like a point or arrow head poking out, these two meet and pull the hinge side corners together when closing, these are the bits that wear, just try a bit of grease or vaseline in these cups, also spray the hinge where the nylon slider moves up and down

If you do have good compression in the corners but not in the middle then you'll find the pvc section is bowing and the gaskets are not touching, this is very common on large spans between the hinges i.e. very wide or very tall openers, for this i/we fit closing wedges, screw these halfway between the hinges - one on the frame and the other on the opener and they work just like the cup and point the hinges have

I've had Everest windows fitted in just the last few months but noticed drafts in the house. On closer inspection I found drafts around several new Everest windows where the window sash is not fitted tightly enough leaving a gap of a few mm between the gaskets and window frame. I thought it was just one window, but actually the problem is much bigger. Thesy are not big sashes either, so bowing is not likely the issue. It rather defeats the object of installing double glazing to prevent heat loss when I can feel drafts around these windows. Needless to say, I've notified the company and will wait and see how they address it, but I think they'll have to spend a day or two fixing the issues. I'll see then if they live up to their motto of fitting the best.

Sponsored Links
Needless to say, I've notified the company and will wait and see how they address it, but I think they'll have to spend a day or two fixing the issues. I'll see then if they live up to their motto of fitting the best.

You tend to get a better finish, with proper care, from local installers, with a local reputation to keep up. Nationals tend to employ just anyone, who can put a window in, and they want to be in, out and home ASAP. When I had mine done by a local, there was only one slight issue...

Outer back door was glass upper and it bowed away about 1mm from the outer seal halfway down. I got them back to attend to it. Everything else was spot on.

Last edited:
I had a similar thing, small gap and replaced hinges but now my problem seems worse. Any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back