Everything Downstairs has stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Problem
I have no heat downstairs but do have it upstairs and hot water. However, pump still appears to be running as I can hear it switch speeds when I flick the lever on its side (3 speed Grunfoss 15-60)

I have been told that one of my downstairs radiators was sludging (kitchen) in past and that at some point I should clean the system.

I now appear to have no heat to any radiators downstairs - could they all have become sludged to the point of no heat at all?

What have I tried?
I turned off all the upstairs radiators and could get heat to one downstairs radiator but when I tried to run multiple ones I had no joy.

I have put a de sludging agent in the header tank, turned off the inlet and drained enough water from two downstairs drain points to empty the tank. I have been running all afternoon and seen no change to downstairs.

When I drained water from the system it ran reasonably clear (I opened the inlet valve and shut the outlet valve to get the water running through the radiator).

Finally, at times I can get heat down as far as the inlet valve but it doesn't appear to be getting into the radiator.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
try taking a radiator off the wall and seeing if the rad or the valves are blocked .

failing that see your gp and say that u have problems with yor plumbing downstairs.

I haven't tried it with al the radiators but when I partially drained the system to let the anti sludging agent in I opened and closed both valves on one of the radiators (I have drain points between the radiator and the outlet valve on all my downstairs radiators) and water came out when either valve was open (and other shut). This radiator is still not getting hot.

I could try this on all the other radiators but would be interested in any other possibilities.

Could the pump motor be spinning but not turning the blades?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back