Evolution 255mm rage3 bargain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an Axminster 250mm sliding mitre saw lasted just over 5 years. Not too bad but not to great, but these things never really last. It was very good for one that is only bought for about £130. I was really after something a little more substantial and really you have to go into the £300 or more to ensure you get a good one that is accurate and reliable (one hopes). I have been tearing out my hair trying to find one about £180, but it is really difficult. A none sliding compound mitre saw is sorta ok but when you cut a compound angle you get a curved compound cut angle, so I wanted a sliding one to prevent that.

AH did I do research for 3 days or what. There wasn't a stone left unturned and the one I had my eye on was a SIP in Toolstation for £150. They had none in stock as yet and Screwfix had a 10% off if you ordered on line. So I was looking at there range and the Erbauer was not on my menu AT ALL. All my Erbauer I have had contact with have been rubbish. The other 255mm under £200 was the Evolution Rage 3 Mitre Saw and with 10% off made it spot on. The reviews were mixed and I couldn't get my thoughts together as to where to go.

Just as I was making up my mind to go SIP an email came up from Tesco direct about free delivery until this weekend. And guess what??

They had the Evolution Rage 3 Mitre Saw at an amazing price of £156.60

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-5224.aspx

As it was such a good deal and I know there are plenty out there tearing their hair out trying to find out which how and what I thought it worthy of putting up here

Sponsored Links
A none sliding compound mitre saw is sorta ok but when you cut a compound angle you get a curved compound cut angle, so I wanted a sliding one to prevent that.

not shure what you mean by this !!!

a compound angle should be perfect regardless of saw type if it curves its a faulty saw!!

Sponsored Links
I had a coulple of compound saws and they both gave curved edges and thats the fault of the circular saw being round. Its like seeing an edge that is concaved in lens terms. Not only is that my observation but a friend of mine as well. We compared the results of the saws and since we have had sliding saws that has not been an issue. I still have to look at the consequences of that when I look at part of the boxing around the staircase in the dining room.

So now I have a sliding saw which does the job as it cuts straight along the edge

Sorry to jump onto your thread, but I’m in the process of buying a compound sliding mitre saw, I need to fit some skirting boards, and other general DIY stuff. I posted a question on the Tools board, but before shelling out something like £150 - £180 I thought I’d ask here, seeing as how this thread is running.

I was going to buy the Erbium. Is this not recommended?

Not heard of the Erbium. Just done a search on 'Reviews Erbium' I get lots on lazier treatment stuff so its not a popular one. It seems this one I have research is the best for the price, but can you give me some links to this product. In my research the other one is SIP and the cheapest was from Toolstation. Funny enough its the most popular and they can't get enough they have run out. There are other places that sell it though £10 dearer. I would always go to that SIP dealer and state Toolstations price and see if they can match it. Its a consumers prerogative to do the best for your pocket. :LOL: Just a sec here is that other link
http://www.sipuk.co.uk/

I tried several bench saw that were from a £110 to £160 all of them went wrong and none were adjustable or something else wrong with it, the fence bent and all sorts of things. In the end I bought a SIP for about £155 and its brilliant. You can even re-align the saw if it goes out of true which most of the others did go out of true.

But the Tesco price is excellent when you consider everyone else is selling the Evolution at £200. Out of the reviews I read on balance this one did not to badly. Where as other reviews on other products didn't fare so well. Let us know what you do as I can't find your product

I had a coulple of compound saws and they both gave curved edges and thats the fault of the circular saw being round. Its like seeing an edge that is concaved in lens terms. Not only is that my observation but a friend of mine as well. We compared the results of the saws and since we have had sliding saws that has not been an issue. I still have to look at the consequences of that when I look at part of the boxing around the staircase in the dining room.

So now I have a sliding saw which does the job as it cuts straight along the edge

it means the blade isnt following the path correctly the teeth front and back should follow each other giving a flat surface the path off the blade must be slightly wrong

a correctly set up saw will NOT give you a hollow on a face regardless off type

it means the blade isnt following the path correctly the teeth front and back should follow each other giving a flat surface the path off the blade must be slightly wrong

a correctly set up saw will NOT give you a hollow on a face regardless off type

Ah well its gone now but thanks. In fact a sliding saw actually gives you more versatility in many ways. So thanks Big-all

Sorry Therms I had the feeling you were going to say that and if you read my first statement I wouldn't touch erbauer with a bargepole. I have a circular saw that is so heavy its difficult to use and not very good, also I tried a benchsaw and that was awful and soon got rid of it. What a cheap plastic load of rubbish the fence was useless and nothing was straight not even the blade which is what you rely on to do the business. I shake my head in disbelief that you would waste all that energy to make such rubbish. I think you get my drift.

As for the sliding mitre saw the reviews I read and comments confirmed that I wouldn't buy it. I can't say for myself about the evolution as it will be arriving tomorrow, but all indications are it is far superior than the Erbaurer. Tesco's go and get it or the SIP both of my researches put them more favourably the evolution just ahead.

Let us know your choice

Tony

I have the Evolution model and the only problem I find is when set it at 45 degrees, the gauge is sightly out checking with the square, well mind is, but can be adjusted

I never trust pre-settings so I always go round the machine and alter when I can. So I will see tomorrow. Thanks for that

There's a substantial cost difference between the 10" and 12" SIP. Is it worth spending the extra £50 for the extra cutting distance and the extra 400w capacity motor?

It's not clear whether you can tip the blade to 45 degrees either way, to save you having to flip the work over.

It does look like a good piece of kit.

There's a substantial cost difference between the 10" and 12" SIP. Is it worth spending the extra £50 for the extra cutting distance and the extra 400w capacity motor?

It's not clear whether you can tip the blade to 45 degrees either way, to save you having to flip the work over.

It does look like a good piece of kit.

easy way to tell if it tips both way is to look at the back fence either side off the blade if it has an angle on the left hand only and strait on the right it tips one way
if its a "V" it may angle both ways

example here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SIP-12"-S...W---01502_W0QQitemZ300319421596QQcmdZViewItem

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sooo, it looks like it only tips one way - bugger!

The Rage looks like it'll only tip one way as well. I think I'll wait some feedback from Tony. His saw is due to turn up today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back