EVs and drop in fuel duty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As more people switch to EVs, how do you think the government will make up for the shortfall in fuel duty? Is road charging the most likely (and fair) solution? I get the fact government needs tax revenue to pay for all the stuff we use, infrastructure, services etc. However that's what makes me laugh with all the articles saying how much cheaper EVs are to 'fill up.' Maybe so, however if anyone thinks longer term government won't impose alternative tax raising solutions to balance the books they're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Sponsored Links
how do you think the government will make up for the shortfall in fuel duty?
Jack up the price for electricity. With smart meters (compulsory) it would be simple to have tiered charges and recognise when charging is taking place.

Road pricing is more likely.
give every vehicle a free allowance based on urban/rural milages. Then charge per mile on zones.
a crude way would be an annual tax based on the milage over a year, or introduce the type of boxes that learners have that track time/distance/speed.

It isn't hard as they can track a mobile phone with ease so a car is easy.

It's obvious that someone has to replace the current road tax with a similar amount of revenue from somewhere and vehicles are easy. But it could just as easily be Vat at 25% or adding tax to some other items.

It's obvious that someone has to replace the current road tax with a similar amount of revenue from somewhere
Just an idea...

Maybe they could target those companies/rich individuals using tax avoidance/evasion?

Sponsored Links
Road pricing, or just upping the road tax for all vehicles by X pounds.
Yeah part of me wonders whether they'll do road tax first (until the tech for road pricing more established) then switch to road pricing further down the line.

Given EVs cost more, you pay your tax up front. My guess is people will be combining home generation with EVs so that the sun fuels their car.

Electric cars lend themselves to GPS tracking and therefore a system of monitoring usage and charging.

An adaptation of the congestion zone payment concept for more general charging :rolleyes: zones - when you drive around in them

Given EVs cost more, you pay your tax up front. My guess is people will be combining home generation with EVs so that the sun fuels their car.
For those lucky enough to have their own roof and drive I agree. The price for EVs is going to drop though, by 2025 or so they should be more or less equal. Then all the current incentives will disappear and shortly afterwards they'll start cranking up the tax on everything.

I don't know which exactly, but read that all/most new cars already have gps trackers used by their warranty/breakdown service.
Great for police.

Banging the likes of VAT, and other non-related taxes, would be hugely unpopular with non vehicle people.
Why should they pay tax on their chosen goods to 'assist' the government of the day to claim revenue on something they neither own or use?
Would anyone be happy to pay increased taxes for something they never got to use? I wouldn't.

Charges based on a compulsory annual (or more frequent) submission of odometer reading to DVLA, with hefty penalties for cheating, would be one option for road use pricing.

Would anyone be happy to pay increased taxes for something they never got to use? I wouldn't.
There's a precedent. Most of us don't enjoy paying Council Tax, although that covers facilities, such as schools, which many residents don't use.

Banging the likes of VAT, and other non-related taxes, would be hugely unpopular with non vehicle people.
Why should they pay tax on their chosen goods to 'assist' the government of the day to claim revenue on something they neither own or use?

We do all use the roads, whether we own a vehicle and drive or not. How do you think all the things you buy and the food gets delivered? If you travel on the buses, you are still using the road network.

Sponsored Links
Back