The Alternative may be harsher than Cams !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
LINK Latest on ISA
Drivers in London could be among the first to have the 'speed spy' devices fitted. They would be offered a discount on the congestion charge if they use the system.
The move follows a six-month trial in Leeds using 20 modified Skoda Fabias, which found that volunteer drivers paid more attention as well keeping to the speed limit. More than 1,000 lives a year could be saved if the system was fitted to all Britain's cars, say academics at Leeds University, who ran the trial on behalf of the Department for Transport (DfT).
It is part of a two-year research project into 'intelligent speed adaptation' (ISA), which the department is funding at a cost of £2m. Results of the initial trial will be presented to ministers this week.
A study commissioned by London's transport planners has recommended that motorists who install it should be rewarded with a discount on the congestion charge, which tomorrow rises to £8 a day.
The throttle can be overidden but such action will be recorded - Aircraft black box style - An invalid decision to 'accelerate out of trouble' will actually put one in trouble - reality.
I am for ISA .. because I know about the 'touted' alternative, which will be a cheaper version, car mounted black box .. road charging and penalising speeding whenever and wherever it occurs !!

~~~~~~That cheapo alternative ... Really is being considered !!
A new anti-speeding device is being installed in cars to report drivers who go over the limit. The device has been developed by IBM, the computer giant, and is being tested in the United Arab Emirates, which has one of the world's worst traffic accident rates. If a driver speeds, the black box sends a signal to a control room where the vehicle, its speed and location are recorded by a computer.
IBM says the technology can be installed in any vehicle, raising concerns that it could one day take over from speed cameras. "This has the ability to redefine traffic management," said Lia Papa, an IBM spokeswoman. "It could change the way traffic is managed in cities and countries around the world."
LINK IBM Cheap black box

So, if the Govn takes a route which normally prevents transgression ... ie ISA not Cams.. they can get the revenue lost from speed cams by use of the road charging plan, using the same piece of kit. Gits!! .. Road tax may be abolished but not fuel tax --- Green and energy conservation issues likely imposed from EUroland will preclude that.
HMG could just use the cheapo IBM 'black box' version to penalise every speed infringement and collect road charge data... double pay ... gits² !

Worse case would be two layers, Tier 1 with ISA protection from transgression, at a price (controls etc) Or a second tier with the cheapo 'gatso in car' and road charging ... punish every mistake, if you cannot afford the 'controls' for full ISA tier 1 then you cannot afford protection, and will remain a 'cash cow' for old GordonBleu !!

Roll on Oz !!
;) :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
****in disgrace. so what happens when you doin down a 40 road and the old granny is doin 35 and you want to get past? slowly accelerate makin sure you dont go above 40 and by that time hit the oncoming car, or go fast past, maybe to 50 till your past and back in your lane then slow down?

and does this mean all speed ramps will be removed? i often end up goin about 35-40 between certain speed ramps. just to catch upto where i should be if i was goin at 30.

i wish i was born in some other country. maybe north pole or somewhere more remote.

andrew2022 said:
**** disgrace. so what happens when you doin down a 40 road and the old granny is doin 35 and you want to get past? slowly accelerate makin sure you dont go above 40 and by that time hit the oncoming car, or go fast past, maybe to 50 till your past and back in your lane then slow down?

and does this mean all speed ramps will be removed? i often end up goin about 35-40 between certain speed ramps. just to catch upto where i should be if i was goin at 30.

i wish i was born in some other country. maybe north pole or somewhere more remote.

Unfortunately the old granny, if legal, has as much right as you have to be on the road. You overide the throttle and take the consequence - if any - simple. Not accidently over the limit but a concious effort taken.... ;)

andrew2022 said:
i often end up goin about 35-40 between certain speed ramps. just to catch upto where i should be if i was goin at 30.

If its a 30 zone that's still speeding and an offence. Shame on you. If you were to hit a child in between ramps, they would certainly be killed. This is where we also need to differentiate between speeding and irresponsible driving. You're doing both. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
If its a 30 zone that's still speeding and an offence. Shame on you. If you were to hit a child in between ramps, they would certainly be killed. This is where we also need to differentiate between speeding and irresponsible driving. You're doing both. :rolleyes:

most places are open streets with very few kids where the ramps are round here
pipme said:
Unfortunately the old granny, if legal, has as much right as you have to be on the road. You overide the throttle and take the consequence - if any - simple. Not accidently over the limit but a concious effort taken.... ;)

so because 1 person decides to go slow every1 behind has to either: go slow (but then why the **** should every1 be stuck at 35 in a 40 zone because some old granny is too scared to go faster), overtake an possibly dangerously low speeds to get past or get fined for passing like you'd normall do

40mph zone is not a target speed, it's the maximum speed limit.

masona said:
40mph zone is not a target speed, it's the maximum speed limit.
and if there is an open, clear road then you should be going for 40. not sittin at 35, scared to go any faster.

how many people drive down a motorway at 50 in good conditions, clear road etc (unless they have to, i.e HGV)

Are you suggesting the 40mph is the minimum speed limit?

masona said:
Are you suggesting the 40mph is the minimum speed limit?
no. im suggesting that people should go at 40 in a 40 zone when there is an open, clear road

highway code said:
143: DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

Will not find many places in built up area where there are non of those.
So we not only drive on the wrong side of road, but at a greater speed than the posted limit then? .. Now that sounds really sensible.

BTW dif between 35 and 40 mph over, for example 5 miles, is an extra 66 seconds.
The apparent time loss is mostlyall in the mind, the reality is often mind bogglingly different.
;)

Why oh Why do the Britsih whinge about all this crap, then do nothing about it!!

THE GOVERNMENT WORK FOR US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND, when are the People of this country going to actually stand up for themselves and stop this intrusive big brother bolllox, get the speed humps removed along with all cameras (except those on recognised danger spots).

When are we going to force the Insurance Industry and the Police to make public locations of all accidents so that true black spots can be identified and the hypocrasy of camera's for cash can be exposed...

When are the drivers of London going to hang Commi Ken by his balls from a large tree and force the scrapping of this transport tax he has introduced which is simply criminal revenue.

I can't be bothered to check the highway code, but aren't there a couple of rules about making satisfactory progress, and not causing an obstruction to other motorists?

I did the Three Peaks last summer. Driving down through Scotland we came across a guy driving one of those fancy JCBs that go quicker. The road was a 60mph limit, but his vehicle was only capable of doing 30 or so (or at least he felt that was suitable). However, he seemed perfectly happy to pull over at the first opportunity to let us past. Combined with the fact he had waited until the middle of the night to do his journey, I would say he was driving considerately for other road users.

I hate tailgaters when I'm driving dead on the speed limit (40 means 40, people!). But, driving way below the speed limit is inconsiderate driving in most weather conditions and situations. Sure, if it is pi**ing down with rain or snowing, I'm the first one to slow down a bit. But blocking up a road just because YOU feel like a nice slow drive is inconsiderate. I seem to get held up by people who like to go 25 in a 40 if I leave for work after 9am.

Remember, in communist Russia you could be shot for activity that could slow down the economy of the country...

FWL_Engineer said:
Why oh Why do the Britsih whinge about all this rubbish, then do nothing about it!!

THE GOVERNMENT WORK FOR US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND, when are the People of this country going to actually stand up for themselves and stop this intrusive big brother bolllox, get the speed humps removed along with all cameras (except those on recognised danger spots).

When are we going to force the Insurance Industry and the Police to make public locations of all accidents so that true black spots can be identified and the hypocrasy of camera's for cash can be exposed...

When are the drivers of London going to hang Commi Ken by his balls from a large tree and force the scrapping of this transport tax he has introduced which is simply criminal revenue.

good idea, but there are too many people who wont do anything about it. we should spread the word and go against the government, make em listen to us. altho well have to get someone else to take tony blairs place. everything just goes in 1 side and out the other with him. unles bush has told him, then its a ****in brilliant idea

AdamW said:
I can't be bothered to check the highway code, but aren't there a couple of rules about making satisfactory progress, and not causing an obstruction to other motorists?
yes. and goin 35 in a 40 zone would then be against that.

AdamW said:
I hate tailgaters when I'm driving dead on the speed limit (40 means 40, people!). But, driving way below the speed limit is inconsiderate driving in most weather conditions and situations. Sure, if it is pi**ing down with rain or snowing, I'm the first one to slow down a bit. But blocking up a road just because YOU feel like a nice slow drive is inconsiderate. I seem to get held up by people who like to go 25 in a 40 if I leave for work after 9am.

i hate tailgaters aswell. altho if someone is goin too slow then im usually right behind them. once they get to a reasonable speed then i back off. thats if im still behind.

Sponsored Links
Back