New road charge plans revealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here we go folks, I am betting they have this boxed off pretty well.
Charges would start at 2p a mile for rural roads, while journeys on the busiest urban routes would cost up to £1.34 a mile at peak times, according to the study..... 'If fuel duty were removed completely . . . [rural drivers] would be paying much less and the other side of the coin is that city dwellers would pay much more,' said Stephen Glaister, professor of transport and infrastructure at Imperial College, London.Cue AdamW
Ooer ! Better move house if living on busy urban route, or get a bus ticket .. if you have a service !! ( S'pose us rural homesteaders will ascend several compensatory steps in Council Tax )
Could always rent out to the hords leaving the cities ....

Link

I guess it could be sold to us in exchange for speed cameras, how? It has been shown recently on TV, tests currently underway, cars fitted with 'black boxes' Sat nav positioning plus auto updatable mapping of all speed limited areas, the cars automatically drop speed to the max or less for the current driving location, throttle and brake control ... all overridable, the former with difficulty the latter with ease.
A pro-active hi tech sensible method of pretty well getting rid of the speeding offense .. If all vehicles are abiding the transgressor will stand out from the crowd.
When the police are chasing at 159 .. just impose instant blanket 5 mph speed limit for that road ... :D :D :D
;)

Sponsored Links
Don't like the sound of a little black box controlling the throttle & brakes. microprocessors do go wrong occasionally. Cruise control is unnerving enough at times. :eek:

How about just limiting the max speed to the speed limit. So that no matter how much throttle you give, it wont exceed the limit.

What gets me is that you sit here and talk and argue about it, when really you should be out there doing something about it.

Remember the poll tax riots ??? well that stopped it in it's tracks

Freddie said:
What gets me is that you sit here and talk and argue about it, when really you should be out there doing something about it.

actually fred my old mate, looking back it was the fairest system just marketed wrongly ;)

Sponsored Links
I think they may have left one little thing out of thier calculations for all of this extra revenue, oops sorry, reducing congestion. If we all move to public transport, there wont be any revenue from car users, what then, £20.00 for a two mile trip to your local shops by bus?

pipme said:
A pro-active hi tech sensible method of pretty well getting rid of the speeding offense .. If all vehicles are abiding the transgressor will stand out from the crowd.

One of the Far East countries have a much simpler, cheaper and effective solution of finding out the speeders:

All cars have a large bulb-type lamp on top of their roofs. If the driver goes over a speedlimit, the light switches on (and can only be switched of by police officers).
How about that :!: :D :D :D

jasy said:
Freddie said:

actually fred my old mate, looking back it was the fairest system just marketed wrongly ;)

Totally agree Jassy, why should someone living on their own have to pay for a load of freeloaders to have their bins emptied.

Pay by the mile is a much fairer system than paying road tax, but i have a feeling that you may be paying both and will be paying far too much in the process as it will be another money spinner for the goverments wastefull taxation programme

At last the car has been brought into the 21st century with these black boxes, i'm all for this technology being fitted to all vehicles, now there will be a fairer way of taxing the motorist, heavy users will contribute more than light users and that is how it should be!
I wonder how much further this technology could help in?
location of vehicles, this could be useful for the police,employers, rescuers perhaps?
it might also make users more fuel efficient in keeping vehicles tuned properly, if fuel efficiency sensors were incorporated, eventually cars with processor control could be linked to a central control centre where fuel efficiency routines could be calculated for the individual users and the best fuel efficiency system would be sent to the processor in the car.
this may be a few years off still but still plausible, i just hope they hurry up and get their fingers out in implementing such systems before the fuel crisis gets worse.

our road system has never ever caught up with the actual needs for it to be upgraded. We are 60000000 living on an island not designed for coping with this many people and cars. Something has to give and if reducing the amount of traffic on our roads means having to pay through the nose for it then so be it. We are the victims of our own success. The freeloaders who get away without paying road tax wont get away with it anymore and maybe all those lazy little journeys will be stopped. We have a habit in this country of wanting something for nothing. The only other alternative than paying by the mile is to increase fuel duty which has been mentioned on here and i think that is the only fair way of getting EVERYONE to pay the road tax.

My personal view is in this day and age you should be driving a car which has a computer which drives itself from where you tell it to go--can never have an accident---speed--or jump lights etc etc etc etc------it should be light electric and made from plastic thus making it cheap to run--buy and make and you would never then have to sit in traffic as you would know exactly when your time of arrival would be and how long the journey will take and exactly how much it will cost to get there.

Then all the idiots who spend a forune on something which is just a form of transport could do something else

I know i should keep taking my medication :oops:

Adding to that , Freddie

The whole car should be made out of a recycled materials and drive on bio-fuel :D :D :D :D

Freddie said:
My personal view is in this day and age you should be driving a car which has a computer which drives itself from where you tell it to go--can never have an accident---speed--or jump lights etc etc etc etc
I remembered some time ago on Tomorrow World programme, they programme into a credit card details and put into the car dashboard computer box, the Mercede car I think didn't even has a steering wheel, don't ask me how it works including parking the car without any smash up!
Does anyone remember?

some great points raised here

1st

pipme
thanks for the link , but I heard about this awhile ago when Paxman on NewsNight ripped this arguement too bits an send Joe public wouldnt stand for it in every town , London ok ....but not outside London ....

Freddie
were YOU in Traflagor Square ....erm thought not probably at home fuming an tut tuting at them *commies* fighting the SPG ,lol

jasy
the Poll Tax a fair system , erm ......lol ...Yeah ... hhhhm....Right .....teehee

nstreet
Exactly , the public transport is a massive joke ,

just a quick poll here hands up who was on their local bus lately an if Not why not ?
my complaint is they are never on time now an just say "WELL WE ARE EVERY 20MINS" but its when that 20 mins STARTS ,lol

WoodYouLike
That would be Singapore wouldnt it ?

kendor
"I wonder how much further this technology could help in?
location of vehicles, this could be useful for the police,employers, rescuers perhaps?
it might also make users more fuel efficient in keeping vehicles tuned properly, if fuel efficiency sensors were incorporated, eventually cars with processor control could be linked to a central control centre where fuel efficiency routines could be calculated for the individual users and the best fuel efficiency system would be sent to the processor in the car. "

To quote David Brent
That is a FACT.......*SAID SMUGLY *

You can do all above with a company fleet ,all the Blue Chip companies now monitor workers movements ,(Talk about Big Brother )

jasy

"The freeloaders who get away without paying road tax wont get away with it anymore and maybe all those lazy little journeys will be stopped"

LOL DVLA already issue fines if you dont get a Road traffic Tax licence ....£80penalty fines no arguements the computer just issues 1000s a day

Freddie
"I know i should keep taking my medication " is that Thorzine or methadone ...lol..lol..mines Stella ...

WoodYouLike
"The whole car should be made out of a recycled materials and drive on bio-fuel "
LOL you aint that "tales from country cottage" fella are you

charley-farley said:
jasy

"The freeloaders who get away without paying road tax wont get away with it anymore and maybe all those lazy little journeys will be stopped"

LOL DVLA already issue fines if you dont get a Road traffic Tax licence ....£80penalty fines no arguements the computer just issues 1000s a day

How nieve are you Charley ferkin Farley. Cars need to be re registered by new owners. No register, no address :rolleyes: Loads are getting away with it. ;) Tax the fuel everyone pays simple.............or is that too simple for you Charley ferkin Farley :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back