Ex Neigbours loft conversion did damage to party wall in loft I recently discovered

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a workman in my loft and he discovered timbers from next door's loft conversion visible though 4 holes in party wall and rubble from where the stone/plaster from the wall had been blown off onto our side. Their house was last sold in 2008 and the loft conversion was done before that. There was no party wall agreement when the loft was done.

There is a fire risk associated with these gaps. My questions are

1) What is a satisfactory way of filling the holes to mitigate fire risk, would firestop foam be oK?
2) Who should pay for the work; the current neighbours probably did not do the damage ?

IMG_20220720_131225071.jpg

Sponsored Links
Fire foam is for gaps less than 30mm but more than 10mm.

Face cover should be via a suitable board and intumescent putty or cement render/ plaster like what's there already.

New homeowners inherit the rights and obligations associated to the property. However you are out of time for claiming.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back