Excavating a basement with no foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to convert a basement room into habitable space. The existing room height is only 2130mm so I can't afford to lose any height.

Question 1: I think my floor construction is going to need at least a depth of 233mm made up of: Screed and sand blinding (50mm), DPM, Concrete slab (100mm), insulation (65mm) and T&G chipboard (18mm). Have I got this right and/or is it possible to reduce these thicknesses at all and still satisfy Building Regs?

Question 2: The house was built around 1900 and doesn't have any foundations. One of the external walls only goes 140mm beneath the existing floor level, so I'll have to excavate to a depth lower than the bottom of the external wall. :eek: I think I can do this safely by getting my groundworker to excavate and lay the floor (up to the concrete slab) in separate strips. Would this work and how wide would the strips need to be? I'll probably use a structural surveyor to make sure everything is done safely but I'm hoping someone can give me a couple of pointers to help me decide whether the project is viable before I start shelling out cash!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back