Excessive vibrations of floor caused by washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed a new kitchen and the last part to go in has been my washing machine (built in).
The flooring in the kitchen is floorboards, nailed onto joists with approx two foot gap to the ground underneath.
I always knew there was a certain amount of 'give' in the floor, but when the washing machine gets up to full spin, there is rediculous vibrations which i can only imagine is not good for the units, sink and worksurface joints and fittings that surround the washing machine...... also the noise is a pain!
If i can get the machine off the floor joist somehow i am thinking that this will reduce the problem!
Can anyone help me on this one with some experience of this or a way of solving the problem?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you did remove the secureing bolts on the rear of the machine didn't you ?

What make is it? The cheapo ones are notorious for this, especially Creda carp :rolleyes:

I removed the bolts and its an decent one AEG. Its not a fault with the machine, its the problem that the floor has too much give!!

Sponsored Links
I have just recently installed a John Lewis (AEG) intergrated washer in my home. This is on a wooden floor as my kitchen is on the 1st floor. The previous Creda was awful for excessive noise when spinning and we had many engineers out to try to fix it but couldn't.

The AEG is so quiet now we can hardly hear it:cool:

A pain i know but if you dig up your boards and cross brace it will firm them up but wood by nature is a springy medium (compared to concrete). Alternatively, try a rubber mat, they really do work well (about 10mm thick, just cut it to size), won't stop it all but does make a real difference in stopping a lot of vibration transference

I removed the bolts and its an decent one AEG. Its not a fault with the machine, its the problem that the floor has too much give!!

i too bought a AEG 88810 (1800 spin) on a wood laminate floor. Literally shook the house to pieces. Engineer tried in vain to cure, put extra strengthening bars in the sides of the machine as you could see as well as feel the sides banging away. Made it better but still far too loud. (sadly my AEG model was nolonger made in Germany,now made in Italy, not known for build quality thinking about some of their cars.

My advice tell the retailer its unacceptable and to take it away for a refund or replace with a better make. Personally I paid a little extra for a lower spec Miele, much better machine although still some vibration at full steam.

I'm surprised that a Miele would do that, every Miele I have seen is very quiet and steady when spinning, so much so that even when you stand a coin on the machine it doesn't move.

Easy solution for the time being: put less volume in it and set the spin speed below max. Should reduce the noise drastically and your clothes will come out cleaner too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back