excessively hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i'd be grateful for any advice on why my hot water has suddenly (today) become excessively hot? I actually scolded my hand when using the kitchen tap. I checked the thermostat on the immersion tank upstairs and it was set at 55 degrees as i like it, but when i turn the dial with a screwdriver its clicking at 70 degrees! when i click it back and forth the motorized valve responds correctly and i can hear the boiler kicking in and going off downstairs,

Its a glow worm space-saver 50b Mk2 boiler with a strap on type honeywell thermostat on the immersion tank upstairs

Sponsored Links
Further info worthy of mention, i have air bubbling up into the CH f and e tank in the loft, a slow trickle every 30 seconds, and all upstairs radiators needed fully bleeding which i've done. where is all the air coming from? if the two events are linked is it a faulty water tank?

Maybe the cylinder stat has failed?

Usually this results because the immersion heater has been left switched on!

Tony

Maybe the cylinder stat has failed?

Usually this results because the immersion heater has been left switched on!

Tony

I dont use the immersion heater, the cylinder stat is clicking at 70 but is set at 55 degrees, is it higher because its failed or because the CH has somehow forced it higher do you think?

Sponsored Links
Have you actually checked to see if the immersion heater has been switched on?

I cannot think anything because I have not been there and tested your system. It could be several possibilities.

Tony

Further info worthy of mention, i have air bubbling up into the CH f and e tank in the loft, a slow trickle every 30 seconds, and all upstairs radiators needed fully bleeding which i've done. where is all the air coming from? if the two events are linked is it a faulty water tank?

The last ever possible problem you could have right now is a faulty water tank. It either holds water or it doesn't. If it didn't you would know about it!

What I can see in my crystal ball I'm not sure but it could be a blocked feed pipe, a pump turned too high, a system full of sludge, a knackered boiler stat
Sorry I cant make it out ... My ball's too foggy tonight :eek: :LOL:

A badly configured heating system can suck air in from a leaking joint on the suction side of the pump!

That does not cause an overheating cylinder!

Tony

Fit a new cylinder stat. That would be my first guess.

You could try turning it down to say 40c and see if the water then gets to 55c.

TRY CHECKING THE BALL VALVE in the f&e tank.
replace stat on the cylinder and do not set it less than 60 degrees unless you want legionary,s desiese.

The last ever possible problem you could have right now is a faulty water tank. It either holds water or it doesn't. If it didn't you would know about it!

Sorry I cant make it out ... My ball's too foggy tonight :eek: :LOL:[/quote]

These tanks never rot, letting the hot water mix with the CH water then? :rolleyes:

Gplumb,BOB D.O.L.E, i will replace the tank thermostat and post back, thanks for the help :D

I checked the thermostat on the immersion tank upstairs and it was set at 55 degrees as i like it, but when i turn the dial with a screwdriver its clicking at 70 degrees! when i click it back and forth the motorized valve responds correctly and i can hear the boiler kicking in and going off downstairs,

Sounds to me like the stat is working correctly. Something else is causing the tank temperature to rise to 70.

was just about to suggest that. happend on last job yesterday.

turn hw off on clock and turn on heating.. if hw heats you need the valve looking at. coulod just need a service kit. could be the whole valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back