Exchange rates - Copper = £'s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I've read all the topics on scrap copper and want to check I'm getting a fair price if I take to my local dealer (or maybe they will come to me as I have quite a bit?).

I know copper is roughly £3200 a ton, and I've seen some example prices for job lots people have sold inc cylinders. But is there a simple 'per metre' exchange rate for 22m and 15m I can expect for dirty pipes from a dealer? I'm assuming they want their cut as well from £3.2k per ton?

Any rough ideas/equations you use?

Also, I've got an old gas fireplace, back boiler and 3x steel rads, how much should I ask for them (or expect?)

Brass fitting - Any value per kg?

Cheers, appreciate your advice. Shame theirs not an exchange rate website m -> kg -> £ for everything....

Martin

PS Found this handy to work out my weights:
http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/whycopper/faqs/faqs5.shtml

Sponsored Links
Impossible to do it per metre as old copper can weigh at least 3 times the weight of pipe used now

That's a shame but makes sense.
So the only way to tell is to take it somewhere, weight it and then agree a price.
What about the price per kg? If it's £3.20, how much of that would you expect to see and how much is the dealers margin?

Also, is it worth asking anything for the old back boiler, fireplace and 3x steel rads? A rough idea from people who have taken stuff in recently would be helpful.

Cheers

Martin

expect about £11 for the boiler and rad's last time i bothered with it the rate was £140/tonne or £0.14/kg.

Sam

Sponsored Links
take it all to scrappy.

separate brass & copper if worth the trouble.

& say thank you.

take it all to scrappy.

separate brass & copper if worth the trouble.

& say thank you.

bye all means, seperate everything, and i mean everything, go to the wrong yard with the SLIGHTIST mixture, your getting mixed price, noo good, your copper ripout is full of tees n elbows. £1.50 a kilo example, if you get enought, chop them out, you now have clean copper, plus a small bag of mixed, (brazier) worth slightly more than brass.

Take your boiler to pieces if it's got a copper exchanger inside, £15 for the inside, approx. outside, a pound, weight in as a single unit, £1.25,

This is where i come in, i do a bit of scrap now and again, i drive in with £40 of iron, say...... 4 washers, fiver a time, bit of shelving, 2 sqaushed asda trollies £7... a hidden wheel or two (plus tyres) 3 exhaust from quickfit, 5 good shovels of dirt, not forgetting a few plasic hoovers :LOL:

I can leave, putting the pickup back on the scales, get paid for my weight deductions, of about 20 kilo, as i mouch through the previous tippings, and fetch a good load of boilers back with me which i strip down, take em back, good profit, leave with more boilers...... etc.

edit... my dealer pays telext prices... has done it since he since he started. over 25 yrs ago, by accident..was a good mate then, now a millionaire,

he used to come to me for advice, now, if he's he's passing me in the yard, i'll shout, "how's it going pete" he'll shout, "not bad,,COME ON, move that f in pickup".

friends. off topic. (sorry) :oops:

Fifth gear last night . metals have gone up that much scrapies are going to car auctions and buying old perfectly ok runaround cars and scrapping them and making a healthy profit.
Only a few years ago it would cost 50 quid for a scrappy to take your car.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back