existing cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a new downlight and would like to connect to an existing cable which previously connected to a wall light via a dimmer switch. The transformer on my new light has a live and neutral connection but the existing cable has a live red wire plus 2 neutral? black wires. I'm not sure why i have two black wires or how i should wire up my new light. Can you anyone help.

Sponsored Links
Pics and or more detailed description will help a great deal.

Not an earth which someone has sleeved with a piece of cut off black instead of green? Should be the central uninsulated wire with red one side and black the other of a standard cable.

Or if it is from another sheath it may well be a 'switched live'. With this level of information, impossible to tell. If you can't further your understanding from this, suggest you get someone in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. It turns out the second black was the earth with a black sleeve placed over it.

It was the unsleeved middle core of the twin and earth.

Are you absolutely sure it was being used as an earth?

I'm not absolutely sure it was being used as an earth but I wired the new light up and it seems to work fine. The dimmer switch however does make a faint buzzing noise which makes me a bit nurvous so I may get someone in to have a look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back