Existing Foundations (Re-build)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am demolishing my existing house and rebuilding. The existing house had brick spreader foundations throughout, apart from an extension built in the 1980s which has 1m concrete foundations (shown in red on the image below).

//media.diynot.com/141000_140785_43295_30272929_thumb.jpg

The new house will be located as shown on the image and has been deliberately set away from (inside) the old foundations by a couple of feet. At point 1, the new foundations will run through the old. Along the two sides annotated '2' the new foundations will run almost parallel to the old.

At point 1:

Is possible to remove a section of the old foundations and run through them?
Can i 'join' the new foundations either side of the old?
Do i just need to remove the old foundations along this side altogether?

Along sides '2' as the new foundations will run almost parallel:
Is it possible to use the old foundations as 'shuttering' on one side of the new?
If so, will it matter that they are not quite parallel, other than the new foundations will be wider along this side?
Do i just need to remove the old foundations along this side altogether?

I know the BC will have an input here, but i'd like to know at this stage (budget planning!) what the acceptable options might be.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Leave as much of the old foundations buried as possible will save on costs.. its fairly simple to break out a small section to put in new footing.. and yes you can use the old as shuttering..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back