Foundation prep stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a mini digger in to do my foundations for my single storey ext.

Today i have graded down the floor area for the basic new floor structure. The idea was to do this, then mark out and then do foundations next week.

Well i also needed to remove the old foundations of a conservatory as my new foundation runs directly where part of these older foundations are.

I thought i would just rip out the old single course breeze block wall and the foundations underneath, but not a chance.

I now realise these foundations are the same as the one in the photo. Luckily i do not need to move this line of foundation set next to the garden wall.

In the other photo you can see a foundation in the middle of the extension. This can stay as there is no wall to be built over this. I need to remove the foundation by the wall which still has a little block work on it. This then returns to run parallel to the patio door about 4m. So i need to dig out about 5m of this foundation which i think is the same depth as the one showing against the garden wall. This is 600mm deep.

First question is does this need to come out ?

If it does what is the best way to tackle it. I had already hired a hydraulic jack hammer to dig up the drive and i also tried having a go with it on the foundation by the wall, but it was solid. I stupidly left the rest of the conservatory base as i thought it would have a pretty normal foundation.

Could i use a stihl saw to cut into the foundation and then hammer at it ??

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 216
Sponsored Links
I would ask your building inspector as it's their call, on mine I was able to pour new over some old foundations crossing it, but only after exposing them for inspection and the bco wanted some mesh over it. But didn't have to break anything out

I can build into the foundation already in place, but i need to insert rebar anchors using resin fix and the new concrete must project 50mm minimum past the fixings.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back