Hire Digger and man to dig foundations price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hire Digger and man to dig foundations

Anybody know how much it would cos to hire a man and digger to dig foundations for an extension to a semi-detached house

To give you a more accurate idea of price I would require

Ground level outside the foundations does not need reduced.

16 feet square is the size of the extension not the foundation.

The 1m depth of foundation is standard on good ground, but with the extension being attached to the other building the foundation depth would need to match the depth of the existing foundations on the other building?

The excavated material to be removed off site.

Sponsored Links
mini digger hire was £160 for 5 dys from our local hire shop! this was including delivery.
a couple of hours practice and you should be quite adept..........you may even enjoy it! :)

dont know how much for man and digger though.

Are you sure alastairreid after a couple of hours you get the hang of it, someone told me it was hard to master.
It would worry me knocking downa wall or something.
although your right I would enjoy it

Sponsored Links
i had never stepped into a digger in my life until about a year ago and was amazed how easy it was!
the art of driving a digger is learning to use the buckets as an extension of your arms........this comes with practise!....i have one of my guys work the digger and took a shot, after a bit of fumbling about i got the hang of it in about 10min the next hour of two was getting used to the controls.

a couple of pointers.........they are easy to tip over, especially in really rough terrain, if you damage it you are liable for the costs :eek: ,
watch out for overhead cables, if you are hiring, get one with a covered cab as our weather is so unpredictable and you wont want the digger lying idle.

finally add a feather to your cap and go for it
:LOL:

we just use Dangerous John :LOL:

John is our resident danger man but he will dig all day long for a nights beer money
we just don't get him to work on scaffolding, ladders or anything above a foot off the ground! as he booby traps everything :LOL:

Mini diggers are great tools in the right hands.

Digging trenches is relatively easy. Grading ground is tricky.

Fixing broken drains is fairly simple at moderate depths.

Fixing gas mains or electric cables is expensive.

Fibre optic cables...£££££.

If you happen to rip out a water main, gas main and an electric cable in one swipe, you will wish you had never been born.

Good luck.

this is the type of job i do, digging the footing is easy, its the muck thats the problem. its normally the access that causes all the headaches.
i charge £170 a day for me and mini digger all in, no hidden extras.

There's a saying along the lines of a quote can only be as good as the information provided. If the skip is right next to the found then it will be £1500. If the skip is 300m away up a hill and up some steps then it will be £15000

been using a digger on and off for the last 10 weeks on a job on horrible clay soil. The client asked me if he could use the digger on a down day to clear an area behind his garage. He got it stuck in 10 minutes! (i didnt make any sarcastic comments when i got it out in 10 seconds!) :LOL:

Other factors for this quote are:

access to the back of the house will be from the front driveway to the side of the house to the back garden , gap between house and garage is about 12ft , not limited on height? no overhead restrictions.

There Are no underground services to dig round?

I assume the extension foundation is for three walls approx 4 x 4 foot or 8 x 2 foot?

The foundations will be limited to the boundary line of the semi next door

The skip will be on the same level as the existing ground before the dig, but may be up to 30meters away at the front of the house.

I hired a 3 ton digger for digging drainage ditches, was £8 per hour. Easy to get the hang of, hard to use skillfully, and one time out of ten I would just hit the wrong lever by mistake and it would do something completely unexpected and knock a tree over or something e.g. dropping the front blade and lifting itself backwards into the air as I was in the middle of scooping something.

What's Health and Safety again??

Got the job done but it wasnt pretty. A smaller one might be easier to manage. using them well is a real skill and practicing causes a lot of damage to the ground!. e.g. if you just scoop you get an arced ditch,to get the ditch floor flat requires you to and pull the arm in and up at the same time, while also 'unscooping' the bucket to keep it flat. I found it easier to get the bucket down in the ditch, get it flat then reverse the whole machine.

Thank heaven I wasn't doing work anywhere I could damage anything.

Just what you were saying there forestboy worrys me

'I would just hit the wrong lever by mistake and it would do something completely unexpected and knock a tree over or something'

If i was to dig it myself my worry would be that right at next doors boundary line is a sunroom attached to their house, i would hate to make a slip and take the wall down

Reality check!

You will pull levers, hit buttons, pedal etc hundreds or thousands of times in a day.

How much faith do you have you will get every one right every single time? That bucket is designed to tear things up remember! I'm being flippant I know, but when you hit the scoop bucket lever hard, but its actually the swing cab lever or you move it forward but pushed the little 2nd gear button by mistake it starts to get very dangerous.

It's not careless, or grabbing the wrong handle, you sort of go onto autopilot and it catches you out. I'd pay a man to take the risk for you, view it as insurance!

Imagine putting this into someones wall, or head!

View media item 9302

Cheers,

Taking all the information above, can anyone tell me what sort of money we are talking for this work?

I have a man coming out on saturday to quote me, and i simply dont want to be taken for a ride (on his digger)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back