Ways To Keep Single Storey Extension Costs Down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone suggest the single best thing to do DIY that will bring the cost of an extension down?

I have heard that the excavation costs are the biggest chunk of where the money is spent - If you managed to hire a digger and dig it all up would that save a substancial part of the cost?

Also does anyone have a breakdown on how the 1k a square metre is put together - What percentage of that is digging / foundations?

Sponsored Links
The grounds works can definitely be expensive. I've dug my foundations by hand for two extensions and it's really not that bad. Cheaper than gym membership and seems fairly sensible to be because you have to discover your soil and services fairly delicately anyway, so a digger isn't always a practical option.

To answer you first question - do everything yourself, especially the project management and design, then employ people on a day rate.

Sponsored Links
around a 1/3 of the cost is in the ground (oversite removal, footings, foul and storm drainage, concrete oversite) if you can do as much of it as possible just dont break any existing services. The new services also are expensive been quoted £2500 just for a new gas connection and meter plus you have to dig the trench before they arrive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back