Existing underground SWA to summer house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power to my summer house is supplied by an underground SWA cable. (Pre-part P). I'm thinking of having whole system checked out and wondered whether this bit would comply to modern regs. They don't seem to specify a depth but sufficiently protected, although 500mm is often mentioned. The thing is the whole length is at a depth of about 150mm but is completely covered by drive blocks. Surely this is more protected than a deeper depth in soil alone and should comply? Also there was no warning tape around cable. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
If you weren't responsible for installing it, you aren't responsible for whether it complies with the regulations or not.

Bit like when you buy a house, the electrical installation is what it is.

There are no requirements to bring old installations up to the requirements of the current regulations, although obviously you'd be daft not to fix anything dangerous.

When you say "having whole system checked out", what do you mean? What sort of checks, by whom, and to what end?

As long as fused/or MCB protected, and unlikely to be hit, then to my mind it is OK. I don't think I have ever seen an EICR with no faults reported, it is down to you after the report to decide what is worth fixing.

An example no RCD protection will not make a house dangerous, however it could mean alterations become expensive. Also there is a risk assessment, in 1992 I decided to fit RCD protection, but this was because my 14 year old son had passed his RAE and had become a radio ham, so I felt there there was a higher than normal risk of my son doing something daft. My father-in-law however in his house still has no RCD protection even when it was him who pushed me to fit it to my house.

I believe Mr. ban-all-sheds replied helpfully about my question regarding earths. The difficulty with modern electrics is that we are not all qualified electricians but also all not completely stupid and can read to get some background information and make a valued judgement. You can still drive an old banger if it has an MOT but you might prefer something newer, smarter and safer. There do seem to be some vague areas which I am trying to clarify. As has been said as it is an existing (oldish) installation it doesn't have to meet the latest regs. I can't see anything obviously dangerous but without having an electrician test it I can't be sure. I know there are some issues elsewhere and whilst he is looking at that I am thinking of getting his view about other aspects including this. The thing is that my understanding is that if you do improve a part of the system, say with new junction boxes better connections etc it will become subject to Part P? So before I jump in I'm trying to find out what bits like this underground cable may not need to modified. Forearmed is forewarned. Hope this background helps.

Sponsored Links
All new work must comply with the latest regulations and Part P.

This is all Part P says:
upload_2018-4-8_21-40-14.png

Not unreasonable, and that's it.

If, by Part P you are referring to work notifiable to the local authority, then none of your improvements will be unless you:
install a new circuit,
replace a consumer unit, or
add or alter circuits in bathrooms etc.

in England.

You can have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (Mot) carried out and then consider the advisories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back