Exit window requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please clarify the regulations regarding requirement of exit windows. We have 2 x 5 section bays (1 up, 1 down).

We believe that we are required to have escape 90 degree opening windows in the upstairs bay but not downstairs. Our installer has suggested that downstairs is also required to have these openers. I have checked a couple of websites and they seem to be suggesting that downstairs openers are not required if the room has direct access to a hallway which has direct access to the main entrance/exit. This is the case with our front room. The only thing I can think of that may alter it is that we have a porch. With a porch is it no longer considered to be direct access to the exit?

It is a tad confusing.

Some help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Kookie32

Sponsored Links
Another thing to be aware of; although escape windows may be a good idea there is no requirement to have them on replacement windows if you did not have them before. The only requirement is that you do not make the situation any worse than it was before i.e. openings should not be smaller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back