Exotic pilot light problem

Thanks, a couple of silly questions then-
1. ASD ? i can certainly ask him to check it when he turns up with the ordered parts, which may not even apply

2. If there is overheat stat, is it located where the boiler thermostat control box is, which has the capillary going to it? I can't see in manual any reference, except control box plus thermostat with capillary tube and then thermocouple description, as only things that tell the solenoid when to cut off gas.
So if it is overheat stat, would thermostat change cure that, too basically.

Sponsored Links
You dont seem to have read my answer very well.

IF there is an o/h stat then in the circumstances this may well be causing the pilot to go out.

I explained that my supposition could be checked by powering the pump and turning off the boiler and seeing if it still tripped out.

Depending on how it is wired, that might be achieved just by turning the boiler stat down.

You said the boiler stat makes no difference. That would indicate its faulty. I dont see why you want to change the pilot assembly instead of the thermostat.

Tony

Kev, a copy of the page showing 10.5 with the optional o/h stat might help him.

Tony

Sponsored Links
think your both having a mix up. the drawings and type boiler your refering to is the 45/4. were as the op seems to have the 45/2. totally different inners. ones permanent pilot the other aint.

many thanks, this should be enough ammunition to change his mind from going through thermocouple change which was initial theory. He'll bring probably the ordered part, doesn't hurt to have one spare , but as long as the temperature dependence is clear clue for stat-related look first, I might save some tedium.
Anyway will come back with update, hopefully soon I get a slot booked in with him. Kinda catch 22, because he's gating it by arrival of his ordered thermocouple :(

thanks again and quite in awe of the erudite chat -
Indeed, mine has basically only two thin metal tubes coming out from the pilot light under the viewing window, both touch the chassis (not sure if relevant, although chassis does get hot after a long burn).

Then no trace of any separate overheat sensor from what I can see (also on my schematic), except the separate thermostat control box where the mains cable comes in, this box has the capillary going in from the boiler.

So then the boiler thermostat may be leading to the decision of cutting everything off, certainly as you remarked, makes no difference to radiator temperature either.

It's quite a 'dumb' boiler in that sense that on the Glow Worm manual nor what I saw during the recent servicing had any other sensor at least from what I could see and/or hunt down in the manual.

Will be quite interesting, once I do get finally a solid booking - even considered buying a thermostat unit which seems quite cheap, so that I can present it to him and just ask to try it while at it, he will have to disassemble the entire thing anyway. Still better than another N bookings 'til Xmas :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back