Expanding Foam, Trim, Both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Been helping nephew with his 'new' bungalow, and there is water ingress around this window. The window is bowed at the top (a builder recons it wasn't measured for this house, so was bodged), and a big gap below the lintel. The window will be replaced when he has more money, but it's winter. Looking in, I can see foam on the inner side, just visible on the pics.

Questions: Can I just fill all the void with foam, trim and paint? Do that and add a trim? Just add a trim and seal up?

All advice welcome. Ta.

PS the staining seems to suggest there was a trim...

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 13.41.31.png

I had a wider angle pic, will try and upload.

Sponsored Links
Just make sure the trim doesn't allow water to run down the inside. silicon or mastic will help. apart from that expanding foam is fine.

I'd just like get some uPVC trim and stick on with polymer mastic
Eurocell or other trade centre for around £7 for 6m length so Its cheap.
DIY also sell but don't know prices

Sponsored Links
That's a small gap.

For the cost and time of foam, mastic/adhesive and trim, you may as well just squirt two tubes of mastic in and smooth it with your finger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back