Expansion gaps for OSB flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

Am installing OSB3 square edge sheets (8' x 4') x 18mm as a subfloor straight onto joists. I am aware you need to leave a 10mm expansion gap around the edges, but I have read a few pages which recommend a 3mm expansion gap between boards.
Not sure I've ever seen this done before. Is it necessary? I gather with plywood sheets, they are cross bonded and so expand and contract less.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
3mm should be enough, although Ive done jobs and they have been butted tight together with no issues. 10mm sounds like a lot!

The reality is that osb is likely to be in an unheated warehouse at the suppliers and if its going into a centrally heated house, its likely to shrink rather than expand.

If you are going onto joists over a vented void with no insulation below then there is a chance of some expansion I suppose. If its first floor, then likely to be in a very dry environment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back