expansion in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I am doing a extension and just laid the concrete slab after i done it some one said i should have put 25mm celotex or some kind of expansion joint all the way round against the exsisting house and new blockwork underneath the dpm. It was not on the drawing . However could building control make me take the slab up or is there another way round it. The floor make up is hardcore, sand , dpm ,concrete, insulation,screed Thanks for any help or advice

Sponsored Links
Chrisbrick, the 25mm isn`t as an expansion. It`s a thermal break to stop cold bridging from the wall. I`m surprised BC didn`t spot it missing, they usually check after DPM and insul. stage, before you cast slab.

Depends. How concerned are you? Will BC see it? It would be a real pain to rectify now, if you can live with it, a blind eye approach may do. We didn`t put this strip in before the new regs. regarding insulated slabs. indeed never insulated floors at all. Although I expect to be pounced on very shortly by other forum members, I suggest you get on with living.

Sponsored Links
if bc did pick up on it would they have the slab out or would they see it as a minor error and why did architech not put it on drawings.

if bc did pick up on it would they have the slab out or would they see it as a minor error and why did architech not put it on drawings.
That depends how pedantic your inspector is, your Arch didn't draw it cause he's a Bozo. Tell him I said so! :LOL:

Did you got Full Plans Approval before you started Building? Or are you doing this on a Notice?

not sure full plans i think. is this now done with all concrete slabs how serious or vital is it.

If you got Full Plans Approval then it will have either been noted and written into the conditions or has been missed. You may want to find out from your Architect. If you got Full Plans Approval and the plan checkers at the council have missed it then you can probably ignore it as what has been Approved is what you need to build ie no insulation at the edge on the 'Approved' drawings and no need for it on site (in theory).

It is done with all slabs yes. In reality it doesn't do an awful lot, reduces the cold bridging from the ground into the slab a little. As mentioned it would be a snotty Inspector who expected the slab to ripped up. Are you building this yourself?

If you haven't already started the brickwork above damp, then cut some cavity insulation and fit it to the drain trough below dpc.

Obviously, you will need to fill the cavities up to 225mm below dpc first!

As mentioned, if they approved it without the insul at the edge you can forget about it.
If you got Full Plans Approval and the plan checkers at the council have missed it then you can probably ignore it as what has been Approved is what you need to build ie no insulation at the edge on the 'Approved' drawings and no need for it on site (in theory).
Not that it should be a show stopper anyway.

Freddymerc makes sense in everything he has said.
However do what noseall has told you, and you will be killing two birds with one stone, as NHBC now require cavity insulation to be taken down to two course below DPC.
Most local BC have not picked up on this, but it is nearly always only a matter of time before they follow NHBC technical guidance.
oldun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back