expansion joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - question relating to my driveway.

Just had drains repaired and extended. The contractor has left the surface below the finished level, using scalpings and wacked them down. It's more or less ready for me to lay the surfaces.

At the top end of the drive, I will be putting a shed - this section will just be flag paved, the remainder will be block paving.

one 10m length of the drive (3m wide) runs between the house and a retaining wall - effectively a wall either side. The top of the retaining wall is around 400mm higher than then finished level and it holds back the difference in height between my neighbour's and my drive (around 1.5m).

Question is, where concrete flags and block paving are used, should i run an expansion joint down the 10m length of the drive? I don't wish to risk damage to the retaining wall (or the house). If an expansion joint is required, is there a compressible material or suitable mastic that should be used?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
you would only need an expansion joint if you were planning to lay it in a solid concrete slab. It's definately not needed for block paving and only very unusual specific situations would it be needed for flags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back