Expansion vessel neglect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Be warned, fail to keep the mini-expansion vessel pressurised and face a £ three-figure heating engineer bill. As I did after acquiring a Worcester Bosch kerosene boiler along with a new-to-me house:

At the tail end of last winter's heating season, I think I shot myself in the foot. With more bedrooms than occupants and a water cost of about £4/tonne,
I had a water meter installed.
It wasn't a coincidence, within days I discovered the boiler was leaking. To be specific the gasket had blown on the domestic hot water flow switch on the top of the boiler. It monitors that hot water is being drawn off from the integral "slave tank" and signals to the boiler to prioritise the hot water over the heating the radiators, when (say) running a bath. [For you lucky people with natural gas heating, you don't need a combi with an integral "slave tank" as methane is capable of heating the flow to a hot tap, paraffin cannot manage that at better than a dribble in the winter]

I had not realised that the water meter would include a non-return valve, so prior to that installation the expansion of the hot water would simply have passed a small quantity back into the rising main.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back