EXPANSION VESSEL - pumping up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is a normal bicycle pump ok to repressurise an expansion vessel.?

to what pressure do i pump it, how will i know its done ok?

thank you for helping.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/plumbing:faq:faq7

A bike pump will do the job (providing you have a schraeder valve connector). An appropriate pressure gauge is essential.

Cycle pressure gauges are usually designed with much higher tyre pressures in mind (50 - 120 PSI or so), much higher than the pressures required in a heating system. A car tyre pressure gauge would be more appropriate.

ok thanks a lot john for your help. i'll need a schraeder valve connector then. where could i order one from? do screwfix do them? any good links to both that and the pressure gauge and pump please. :)

thanks again for your kind help.

Sponsored Links
Schrader valves are the standard valves used on car tyres, and many cycle tyres in preference to the traditional Woods or Presta cycle valves. Presta valves are normally used on lightweight racing cycles.

Cycle pump connectors come with either Woods/Presta or Shrader fittings. Some have a screw-in adapter to fit either.

I picked up a digital tyre pressure gauge in Tesco for a coupe of quid a while back.

I saw a perfectly adequate cycle pump and connector and a car tyre pressure gauge in the local pound shop.... but I can't remember what they cost now :oops:

to repressurise the vessel properly you'll need an open point on the system i.e a drain point open otherwise you'll be pumping up the system pressure not the just expansion vessel. boiler pressure gauge has to be 0 before you start pressurising the vessel and 0 when the vessel has been fully repressurised. i'm in the trade and we all just use a normal foot pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back