Expansion vessel relation to unvented system pressure loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have continuing problem with pressure loss with my Megaflo system. I have not found any leaks with the accessible pipeworks, and no sign of water leakage on the walls & ceilings.

From reading the various forum messages, the problem could be with the expansion vessel.

However, can somebody please explain to me how the expansion vessel can be a related fault for pressure loss in the primary heating circuit? From my understanding, the expansion vessel is part of the DH circuit and separate to the primary heating circuit.

Sponsored Links
You dan't say which boiler you have but it's most likely the expansion vessel inside it which you should be checking.

How high does the system pressure rise when the heating has been on for a while? If it goes up to around 3bar you could be losing water through the boiler Pressure Relief Valve.

If you let your megaflow go cold. The switch the hot water on.
There is an pressue relief pipe that should be near the megaflow that probably goes out through the wall.
Check this for it dripping as the hot tank heats up.
The megaflow as I remember uses an air bubble at the top of the tank that has to periodically be drained to re-establish the bubble at the top of the tank to allow for expansion as the tank heats up.
Some unvented cylinders have a separate expansion vessel and some have them hidden at the top of the tank under a cover. These need to be refilled with a foot pump.

Sponsored Links
Just check the tundish by the cylinder. If there's sign of limescale or if it's wet then you probably need to recharge the air gap in the cylinder. There should be instructions on the side of the tank telling you how to do this. It's quite simple. Plenty of links to the instruction manual online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back