Expensive quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
For a pitched roof single storey extension of 5m x 3.5m in Greater London I have been quoted £3750 for foundations and for brick/block work for a cavity wall, £8750! (including materials)for a cavity wall. Windows and doors are on top of this. For eternit tiled roof and guttering £2100. Sounds expensive to me especially the brick/block work. Can anyone advise me what I should be paying? Appreciate any advice, thanks Jon

Sponsored Links
i get my butler to sort out that side of things ;)

dj.

Sponsored Links
I have just started a similar project myself and I am doing it all myself but got a brickie to throw up the walls coz of time I know its not a direct comparison as I live in Manchester still not dheap tho!!!
Anyway I hope this can give some idea of cost my building is single storey with a Hipped roof 6.75 M X 4.6M quite big |:)
Foundations and concrete slab I did myself on my own took 4 Days including all exacvation BY HAND!!! as I am 18 feet above road level :( cost me £850
Brick,Block,Lintels and Sand & Cemnt cost £680 brickie charged me £850 to build all walls toothed in to house put lintels in and fit wall plate.
So I would say that your quote is F*ckin extortionate!!!!!

JPL, intresting. Would you like to talk a little more about your project.
Q1. what depth were your foundations?
Q2. what material did you use for foundations?
Q3. what size cavity did you have and was it insulated. Or did you use insulated block?
Q4. How are you going to do the roof: coverings, insulation etc.
Q5. Does it involve major changes in the plumbing and/or electrics and heating?

--tom said:
JPL, intresting. Would you like to talk a little more about your project.
Q1. what depth were your foundations?
Q2. what material did you use for foundations?
Q3. what size cavity did you have and was it insulated. Or did you use insulated block?
Q4. How are you going to do the roof: coverings, insulation etc.
Q5. Does it involve major changes in the plumbing and/or electrics and heating?

Q1.) Foundations i dug 600mm deep and then pumped the concrete in up to 300mm (12") incase I ever want to pull of the roof and go up another level :)

Q2.) I built up to just below the damp proof in Trench Block and then bought some cheap concrete commons for below ground level to bring it up to Cavity Tray (about 3 or 4 course cant remember)

Q3.) Cavity is 65mm filled with cavity slab insulation (Knauf) up to the cavity tray has to be filled solid with mortar as you bring it up. For block I used an aireated concrete light weight block much like old clinker block but more modern and fancy chemically made and what not. They are cheaper than thermalites and I hate browning (plaster) on thermalites these others are much better for that IMHO.

Q4.) I have just done the roof last week its a first for me roofing I mean I donr a bit as a kid with old men but never a full one on my own :) piece of **** tho I have decided to have a vaulted celing with a velux in so I did a small ridge from the house in 6X2 the hips in 6X2 and all the spars in 5X2 looks sweet even if I say so myself. Im gonna be using grey smooth Marley moderns I would have liked slate to atch the house but I would have never got the nessecary 22.5 Degree pitch so with marleys you can go down to 15 degrees.With the ridge in I managed to get a respectable 20!! This is mainly because the plans were submitted for only 3.4M width but I pinched a little bit nearly a metre :O

Q5.) Yes it involves changes in heating and electric but im not arsed about that I will be changing the old fuse box for a big massive Consumer unit soon anyway because I already got near a 1000W on my lighting ring with all the spotlights upstairs and what not :) Plumbing is gonna be a piece of **** as I already put an alcathene main in when I did the slab just tapped into the copper under the exsiting kitchen and put a stop tap on the open end so its in situ exactly where my Sink cupboard is gonna be.

Hopes this helps someway mate.
If you got any questions or want to see any pics as I take pics of every little thing I do you can get me on MSN messenger if you have it my nickname is if im not on just ,eave me a message
Cheers
Paul

MOD

e mail removed can be shown in your profile

I

So ??????? why cant it be shown here to? its not illegal or anything??

----------------------------------------------------------
Moderater,

Forum rules :cry:

Paul, thanks for the information. Your e-mail isn't in your profile and i'd like to contact you but i can't. We both live in the same area, by the way.

--tom said:
Paul, thanks for the information. Your e-mail isn't in your profile and i'd like to contact you but i can't. We both live in the same area, by the way.
its aquiesce69 at the old "Hot male" place if you know what i mean stupid forum rule if you ask me

-----------------------------------
Moderator,

You can update your e-mail in your profile on here :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back