Block and render const'-lifetime of maintenance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having an outbuilding made at the back of my garden. It will be about 3.5m x 6.5m with a double pitched roof and cavity walls. It will need substantial foundations due to the close proximity of trees. As a result of all of this the costs are rising.

I can save a few thousand pounds if rather than the external wall being brick I go for block and render. My question is does this latter finish require endless maintenance because of cracking, render falling off etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If done properly it can last for decades without maintenance, my own house is dashed and is nearly 70 years old with no problems.

Thanks Alastair.

If it is made from block, cavity, block, render; does that mean the wall will be thicker than block, cavity, brick construction?

In other words will the internal space reduce for the same external footprint?

Thanks

If i was building from scratch and had the choice, i would go for brick finish every time.

Also from a maintenance point of view brick is by far the easiest and least likely to show any signs or scars should any work need doing on the wall.

Granted, in certain areas there are predominantly rendered buildings so any new building would need to consider this aspect and not stick out like a sore k nob.

Aggregate finishes fare better in the weather and require the least maintenance.

Sponsored Links
Aggregate finishes fare better in the weather and require the least maintenance.
Are you thinking of monocouche ( only because my son the spread has done it recently ;) ) or is aggregate finish - pebbledashing :confused:

Pebbledash,harling,roughcast,dashing...The art of launching small stones onto a soft basecoat in an orderly fashion to help weather the building and look pretty. :)

Wetcast...the daddy of them all! This is the art of mixing concrete to the consistency of pi22 and using above method for application weatherproofing your home and anything else within a 100m2 radius. :p
Predominantly seen on crofts on shetland, the outer hebrides and anywhere near the arctic circle.

Thanks for the input.

Not keen on the aggregate/pebble dash type look, it would have to be smooth render and paint or brick. As mentioned the render would save me quite a bit of money but if it will start to age badly quite quickly then I'll go for brick.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back