Expert opinion required. Boiler leaking water. THANKS.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worchester Bosch Greenstar 24i junior.

Hi. I wonder if someone could give me some advice. My boiler is dripping water (slowly) and in result dropping pressure.

If I fill up the system to the ideal pressure (between 1-2 bar), the next day after having the heating on (for approx 6 hrs of the 24 over two periods) the pressure is near zero. I am currently collecting the water in a jar under the boiler....lol

I know this requires a call out from a gas safe engineer to rectify. However I would appreciate a probable diagnosis / opinion from any of the experts that use this forum.

I can see from looking into the boiler where the leak is occurring. I have attached three photographs showing the leak. You can see (especially on the closest pic) the build up of water before it drips off the steel plate beneath and then out onto the kitchen work unit.

A)If somebody could inform me which part(s)/connection of the boiler appear to be causing this to occur?

B) Is it possible that the parts may not be defective and just need a connection resetting/adjusting?

c) Are these parts expensive? What would I expect to pay for this type of call out?

BTW I have just bought the house (3month ago) and had the boiler serviced by my energy supplier’s service team whom informed me that everything was OK. This leak occurred approx 7 days after the service in October.

Sponsored Links
by the looks of it it will be nothing more than a washer if it was me i would lock flow and return open safety valve then take out the metal clip ensure copper pipe is fully located then refit clip open flow and return and re pressureise make sure its not hot 1st from pics it doesnt look serious and a standard call out fee should be charged to rectify. why not call out bg on your insurance

It may need a new O ring just to be sure as it's a push fit type, the clip is just to stop the pressure popping the joint.

Ive stoped the leak. Forget what I put above. That was only where the water was collecting.

I have since discovered that it was coming from a part directly above (the auto air vent). There ws a small screw cap loose on top of this. I have tightened it and the leak has stopped. Im not sure if this should be tight though? or was it correct to be semi loose?

If it it should be slightly loose... then back to the drawing board?

Sponsored Links
It should be loose....hence auto air vent......you can just buy the vent .....it just screws in......maybe a bit of ptfe on the thread to be sure and then open the screw cap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back