Explaining too much in quotations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Split from //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=126786
Mod

Sorry, this is a bit rambling, but seems relevant to the thread. I don't know about other guys, but I'm now pretty wary about giving a complete explained solution when out to do a free quotation. Quite often people use it as a means to get a solution to a tricky problem and will then ask someone else to do it the exact same way. Using generalisations in quotes can be enough to provide a decision without drilling down into the finer details. Its one thing to give free quotations, but free design and fact finding is another thing. Sure, give people a couple of blatant observations, but just keep a note of the others. Its not the spanish inquisition :LOL:

In the case of the poster, I think a blatant observation would be that the gas pipe needs upgrading. Any RGI would know that one.

A case in point. I went to look at a job before xmas. Spent about 90 minutes there. The customer had originally wanted a concentric flue, but that wouldn't have looked visually good in the proposed location. I suggested a different location that would take a bit more work and cost more in flue parts. Hey presto I drive past the other day and guess what, it was done just as suggested, albiet with a Keston 50mm flue. I guess I can have the last laugh, but still makes you think.

Also do you guys say when you go to a house that you only have xx minutes to spare? If the owner is a techy, you can find yourself getting into long rambling conversations where you again feel obliged to argue for the merits of their ideas and come up with better solutions. Again, have been burnt several times with that.

Sponsored Links
Ha, i take it you're not in magic circle then? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back