Advice Re Boiler and Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is a follow on to my earlier question regarding the baxi boiler.

The house is a one bedroom starter house and it's very small. Currently the boiler is located in the kitchen in a floor based kitchen cupboard. It is a conventional boiler. On the external wall there is a guard - looks like a chip basket, which I guess is for a flue or similar. Boiler is 18 years old and needs replacing.

My plumber has suggested fitting a 30kw Glowworm - I said no, this is far too big for a one bed house. He said he only suggested this is to get better water pressure. There hasn't been any problem with water pressure on the conventional boiler. He has now suggested the 25kw Glowworm. I'm still thinking this is probably unnecessary.

What I'm concerned about is the fact that the boiler will still be located downstairs and he said I would have to have a kit on the external wall to take the flue up high and to protect it. As this is a little terrace house, I'm thinking this could look unsightly and is also prone to vandalism.

I have a cupboard at the top of the stairs where the current copper water tank is housed - this is on the same external wall. Originally he was talking about putting the boiler in there but it meant running a copper pipe up the outside of the wall.

Can anyone advise me what my best option is to go with - either a combi boiler downstairs in a floor cupboard with this flue kit on the external wall or a combi upstairs with copper pipe running up the wall.

Feeling confused by all of this. If someone has a link to show me one of these kits on an external wall that would be great.

Thank you guys.

Sponsored Links
how did you decide a combi would be best?

Is it a 1 shower/bathroom house?

How many people are likely to live there?

BTW if that is your own house, I suggest you ask the mods to remove the link, as it shows your actual address. Use the "report" link under your post.

Sponsored Links
I don't live there. It's my rental property. And a husband and wife live there.

It is a one shower/bathroom house.

I didn't decide a combi was the best. The plumber told me that I should upgrade to a combi.

then a combi is one solution.

Although, as you already have a cylinder, a conventional or system boiler would be at least as efficient, and your tenants could use the immersion heater on the infrequent occasions when the boiler breaks down.

It could be a much smaller boiler. If the house is modern and very small you may only need 10kW or so.

What colour is the cylinder?

OK. I thought it was an immersion heater, but the plumber said it isn't. He said it's just a storage tank. The tank is like a yellowish sort of colour. I think its a normal copper tank with a coating over it. I really don't like the thought of outside pipework - to me it would look scruffy.

I want my tenants to have access to decent hot water and I thought as I was being told to change over to a combi that would be the best solution - I just thought combi's was the way to go in this day and age. I think I'd rather have the same sort of boiler if necessary and fit an electric shower so that my tenants always have a back up option if the boiler breaks down.

received_1817348144975724.jpeg

Attachments

• received_1817348158309056.jpeg
    received_1817348158309056.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 207
OK - I'm colour blind - its green.

So, is it OK to simply swap it for exactly the same boiler - a baxi solo 2. Or do I have other options that don't involve external pipework. What would be best for the tenant please?

You or the previous owner have had problems at the cold feed by the look of things and the head of the mid position valve is missing, looks like a Drayton. Is the shower electric?

As Dan says, get a second or third opinion.

The shower over the bath runs off of the storage tank. Its not an electric shower.

I have owned the house for 7 years and not had a problem with the boiler or tank previously. Why do you think there has been a problem with the cold feed? Can the head of the mid position valve be easily replaced?

then a combi is one solution.

Although, as you already have a cylinder, a conventional or system boiler would be at least as efficient, and your tenants could use the immersion heater on the infrequent occasions when the boiler breaks down.

It could be a much smaller boiler. If the house is modern and very small you may only need 10kW or so.

What colour is the cylinder?

I think JohnD's a secret plumber. :)

Are you saying its probable the boiler isn't working because there is a fault with the valve and relay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back