Replacement Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an old boiler which heats radiators and it heats water to be stored in a copper tank. I believe it is about 18/20 years old. It is a very small compact baxi solo 2 30 PF and it is located in a kitchen cupboard - the flue goes straight out the back of the boiler through the kitchen wall.

The house is a small 1 bedroom house and only has 4 radiators.

I have started making enquiries to have the boiler replaced with a combi boiler. Engineer has said the only boiler that can go in the cupboard with the flue coming out the back is a Glow-worm flexicom and a plume kit. I want to use the existing flue hole as I don't want to have another hole made.

Any engineers able to confirm if this is the only boiler I can have or if there is a better small boiler? I do want a boiler with a long warranty.

Also, having a combi boiler downstairs in the kitchen, will this be OK to work with the shower that comes off the bath?

Sponsored Links
The glow worm won't be a flexicom as it's no longer available, the current range of glow-worm boilers the Energy 25 appears to be the smaller one with the ability to be installed in a cupboard. I think this might be a rebadged vaillant ecofit boiler.

Vaillant offer a good solution for a cupboard.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/ecofit-pure-combi-26176.html

Daikin D2CND, is the world's smallest combi boiler and would easily fit into a cupboard without the flue showing so would likely be able to use existing hole without the boiler showing below the cupboard.

If a new hole needs to be made for the flue, you can always get the old hole bricked up, and the engineer may offer to do this some do some don't.

What is wrong with your boiler, or do you just want to change it because it's old?

The glow worm won't be a flexicom as it's no longer available, the current range of glow-worm boilers the Energy 25 appears to be the smaller one with the ability to be installed in a cupboard. I think this might be a rebadged vaillant ecofit boiler.

Vaillant offer a good solution for a cupboard.

https://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners/products/ecofit-pure-combi-26176.html

Daikin D2CND, is the world's smallest combi boiler and would easily fit into a cupboard without the flue showing so would likely be able to use existing hole without the boiler showing below the cupboard.

If a new hole needs to be made for the flue, you can always get the old hole bricked up, and the engineer may offer to do this some do some don't.

What is wrong with your boiler, or do you just want to change it because it's old?

I honestly don't know. I am going round and round in circles. The boiler and system is on a repair plan. But D&G constantly give me different stories as to why whatever fault there is, it's not covered under the Platinum plan. I am sick and tired of spending hours on the phone having repairs approved, only for them to change their mind and put me back to square one. The only way I can heat water is to have the radiator on in the bathroom). Not ideal in summer months. I have reached the point that I just want the old system ripped out and replaced.

Will the small Vaillant still give me enough water pressure for the shower which is upstairs?

I honestly don't know. I am going round and round in circles. The boiler and system is on a repair plan. But D&G constantly give me different stories as to why whatever fault there is, it's not covered under the Platinum plan. I am sick and tired of spending hours on the phone having repairs approved, only for them to change their mind and put me back to square one. The only way I can heat water is to have the radiator on in the bathroom). Not ideal in summer months. I have reached the point that I just want the old system ripped out and replaced.

Will the small Vaillant still give me enough water pressure for the shower which is upstairs?

You'll need to get the pressure and flow rate tested at your house.

Sounds like you have a faulty 3 way valve, easy fix, I gave up with them repair plans useless is an understatement

Sponsored Links
You'll need to get the pressure and flow rate tested at your house.

Sounds like you have a faulty 3 way valve, easy fix, I gave up with them repair plans useless is an understatement

I have been down that route. The regular engineer I use had to go in and sort this because it wasn't covered by D&G Platinum. I actually feel like I need to get away from the regular engineer as well as D&G. I am not convinced he has been done things right. I feel like he has his own agenda.

just close one of the valves on the bathroom radiator, it wont heat up then and open it when it gets colder in the year

It seems to me to be a very expensive fix for a wrongly connected radiator to fit a new boiler.

There are often advantages in having a hot water cylinder, particularly for bath takers.

Another is if the boiler were not working then the immersion heater could give hot water. That is often used like that during the summer and only fixing the boiler after the summer when heating is first needed and all the engineers are very busy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back