Resiting boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse the vague/non-specific post. I wife and I are planning to have our kitchen renovated and the old boiler/tank within replaced with a modern combi good enough to heat a 2 bedroom flat.

We really don't want to have the boiler on show but have heard bad things about siting boilers like the Glow Worm Flexicom in a kitchen cupboard. We do however have a cupboard under some stairs that houses the gas meter. The mains water also comes through this cupboard. The ch plumbing runs under the floor board next to this cupboard and wouldn't be too tricky to divert via this cupboard also. That just leaves the hot water. Our bathroom is not far from this cupboard and a shortish run of pipe (3-4m) would get this into the cupboard also. The cupboard is against an external wall.

So my question is, would it be as 'simple' as it sounds to resite the new boiler within this cupboard? Excuse my ignorance but can the boiler be fitted anywhere along the ch system? Would something like this be advisable in terms of maintenance of ease of fitting? Would the cost of running the extra pipework be prohibitive?

I thought I would just ask here before I contact a heating engineer in case its a stupid idea.

Sponsored Links
It may not be as stupid as you think. A lot depends on whether or not the flue can be fitted without too much trouble.
Questions like Does it fit?
and will someone be able to get in and work on it spring to mind

in principle the boiler can go anywhere where it is safe.
the challenge lies in getting the pipes to the boiler and the fluegasses and condensate away from it.
gloworm is not exactly known as the best boiler in the world.

Sponsored Links
Can be installed anywhere that the manufacturers in structions say - ie min clearance top, bottom, front and sides.
So long as there is a route for the flue, pressure relief and condensate pipework, and of course the boiler can be supplied with flow return gas and hot/cold then no probs.

Sorry, the cupboard is pretty big, say 1.5x2m with a sloping ceiling. I'd say its definitely big enough to house even the largest combi boiler. The cupboard is against an external wall that has a side passage of next door on the other side. No windows on that entire side of the house so I'd say flue wouldn't be a problem. Looks like my main issue would be getting pipework from the hot water to the boiler.

I'm hoping that fact that this would provide easy access for installation and servicing, along with giving me a wide choice of boiler would make doing this worthwhile. Thanks for the replies, I guess I should get a heating engineer/plumber in to take a look.

for most condensing boilers you need a minimum of 1.5 metre distance to the boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back