re route gas pipe

Are you looking for an argument...or are you a closet installer?...I'm sure you could go online or God forbid go to the the library and dig out the relevant British standards if you half as clever as you think you are...or do you just want to argue some more?...hmm. let me guess

no argument at all

i'm asking for advice on digging a trench for pipe from people who may know. no not installer as i would know regs and or how to obtain them. all im looking for is advice on how deep to dig down. im going to get and pay an engineer to run install and certify the works but was trying to get head start on the works, plus its going to be easier to dig trench out while im replacing the front door as this is where i want the pipe to run and its easier to do it while door is out rather then digging under it.

this is a forum to ask questions and seek advice so how is me doing that a problem???

if no one knows then fine no one knows so either say cant be done , dont know or just dont post

cheers

Sponsored Links
I'd run it externally round the house.
cant run it outside will be about 100 ft run plus will be crossing 2 door ways and trough 3 walls.
cheers

Would still be easier id say.

if it was shorter run then would consider that way but over 100 ft on outside wont look very nice plus issue of doors.
after reading some posts on here wouldn't that be issue of pressure or pipe size ???

cheers

Last edited:
cant run it outside will be about 100 ft run plus will be crossing 2 door ways and trough 3 walls.
cheers

if it was shorter run then would consider that way but over 100 ft on outside wont look very nice plus issue of doors.
after reading some posts on here wouldn't that be issue of pressure or pipe size ???

cheers

You size your pipe accordingly starting larger and working your way down.

cheers

cheers

You size your pipe accordingly starting larger and working your way down.

at the moment its 22mm upto hob and boiler with about a ft of 15mm into both. the total run at moment is about 40 ft so if i extend the run external id prob need bigger pipe which i think will look horrible all around the building

cheers

Sponsored Links
There is no standard depth.

Up to judgement of installer and how he plans to bury it.

I could tell you what I would do but it is not me going to do it.

It is VERY hard work to channel in old concrete and you don't want to do more than needed.

Tony

That's all I'm getting at. I really think your underestimating how 'easy' it's going to be to channel this pipe.

Did you say your in a flat? So can't run under floor boards upstairs?

I'd get a couple of guys in to best advise as they'll be looking at the job. Even if your pay them. Once the pipe is layed it needs to be suitably protected. It's a massive job.

I suppose if you don't solder greater than 15 mm tube then there could be a usual depth.

But in this case we don't know what size the gas supply pipe will need to be.

The OP has not even told us the depth of this concrete!

There is no standard depth.

Up to judgement of installer and how he plans to bury it.

I could tell you what I would do but it is not me going to do it.

It is VERY hard work to channel in old concrete and you don't want to do more than needed.

Tony

oh ok great thanks for that now i understand its a site dictating issue not a straight forward x deep problem, i will look for someone.

can i ask another question?? a qualified installer do you mind doing the floor work or is it like some other professions that prefer the donkey work doing ???

i just want to know that it can be done underground and dont want to be told no its goto be above and it running all around the flat.

cheers

That's all I'm getting at. I really think your underestimating how 'easy' it's going to be to channel this pipe.

Did you say your in a flat? So can't run under floor boards upstairs?

I'd get a couple of guys in to best advise as they'll be looking at the job. Even if your pay them. Once the pipe is layed it needs to be suitably protected. It's a massive job.

yes well more maisonette im ground floor with concrete ceilings, i assumed would be a standard legal depth it has to be and i just wanted to get all the donkey work done before calling professionals in to do the magic bits lol

375mm depth of cover with pipework a minimum distance of 0.25 metres from building until pipework changes direction to enter building..

I suppose if you don't solder greater than 15 mm tube then there could be a usual depth.

But in this case we don't know what size the gas supply pipe will need to be.

as the system is running 22mm as it is now i was thinking would be same 22mm upto both points then last ft 15mm. it would be a shorter run if i can get the pipe underfloor will go from 40ft down to 13ft

375mm depth of cover with pipework a minimum distance of 0.25 metres from building until pipework changes direction to enter building..

thank you. bit confused "changes direction to enter building" this is the service side of the meter which is in the porch so already in the building. will that depth be same for all materials that the installer will use ??
cheers

If it's a leasehold property the freeholder will have to be involved. Other than that I know notheeng.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back