gas pipe in dropped ceiling???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

i recently asked questions on here regarding gas pipe under concrete floor but now looking at alternative run as plans changed slightly.

ex council maisonette concrete floors and ceilings gas pipe runs half way around the flat before it gets to the first appliance (boiler)

meter in in porch area and i was considering having the floor channeled out to install gas pipe approx 13ft straight run to boiler from approx 40ft run around flat.

now im considering dropping the ceiling a few inches and having the pipe run in ceiling in porch and along ceiling in flat then having a ceiling fitted just below this, no joints will be within the new ceiling area as the run here is only 6ft.
reason being i have now decided to have a rad fitted in the porch so will need pipes for this also i wanted to fit spot down lights in hallway.

is it legal and acceptable to have gas pipes in a void ceiling ??? also will have electrics in there???

cheers in advanced

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In principle not an issue - the void will have to be vented but the GasSafe engineer you appoint will advise you fully.

In principle not an issue - the void will have to be vented but the GasSafe engineer you appoint will advise you fully.

cheers for reply

you say needs venting ?? so vented where ?? to the outside or will i have to have vents on the new ceiling??

Without seeing your plan it's not possible to say but where gas pipework passes through a void it requires venting. If it's all internal then vents in the ceiling - dependant on whats above.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing your plan it's not possible to say but where gas pipework passes through a void it requires venting. If it's all internal then vents in the ceiling - dependant on whats above.

that might be an issue with that plan then as the pipe will be internal in void and roof space above porch and im not having vents in ceiling as will look a mess

cheers

That's interesting ... why does the void above the ceiling need vents? When gas pipes are run beneath floarboards upstairs, I've never encountered vents anywhere.

Because the OP is creating a duct between the existing ceiling and a new false ceiling - it requires venting to prevent the possible buildup of gas.

That's interesting ... why does the void above the ceiling need vents? When gas pipes are run beneath floarboards upstairs, I've never encountered vents anywhere.

That an interesting question.

And I heard that there was an explosion in Birmingham when there was a leak under an upstairs floor.

I do!

But the problem is that some others don't!

i was talking to a mate regarding this issue and he asked a question that obviously i couldn't answer so i'm asking here, if the gas pipe in a void area has to be vented does it need venting into next room or outside?? also if it needs venting in a void why don't it need venting if inside concrete floor?

the section thats within the void will have no joints so does it still need venting??

cheers

If you run a gas pipe inside a void then the void needs venting

ok so no matter what as long as in void will need venting
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back