Shielding gas pipe in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’ve had my boiler moved from my garage to the utility room which is next to the garage. This is because I’m doing a garage conversion.

The gas comes through the garage wall (from the meter) into the garage. It now goes vertically straight up to the ceiling (around 1.5m). It then runs in the corner of the ceiling/wall through to the corner of the room (around 2m run). There it goes through a hole where a few bricks have been removed into the utility room at ceiling height.

The wall where the gas comes in from outside will be insulated and plasterboarded. So that 1.5m stretch to the ceiling will be under insulation and plasterboard. How should I shield/protect the gas pipe?

There will be a new false ceiling created around 150mm under the current ceiling. The 2m run to the utility room will be in this new ceiling cavity. Does the gas pipe need protecting in this run?

Finally does the pipe need shielding as it goes into the utility room where the bricks been removed? In the utility room there will also be some short runs that I was planning on boxing in before it reaches the new boiler position.

Many thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
You need to get a GSR engineer in to view and advise, there are specific rules about having gas pipes in voids, it's all about ventilation etc. There are ways to accommodate it but it would be advised to have a GSR bod onsite to give you the best advice to suit your particular situation.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate the response.

I’ll probably see what the BC officer advises first before paying out on someone else as funds are tight.

If anyone else has any thoughts from similar jobs or situations then that would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back