Heating a garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am building a new garage/utility room which is going to be used really as a play room. The garage is going to be insulated as much as possible - I would like to connect it to the house central heating system - is there an issue in running CH pipes pipes underground from the main house to a garage?

Sponsored Links
i have pipes running sealed in concrete for years, i didnt do it but have never had a problem, but these days i see channels being run through and a small section of ply to cover them as you never know i guess

Hi
There should be no problem running pipes underground, that in itself is fairly common practice. However you might like to consider what happens if you get a burst...
I don't know much about plastic pipes, but I have in the past seen quite rapid corrosion of copper pipes when placed directly into concrete, so if you do go down this route I should seal them with some kind of durable lagging first, which will also help to insulate against frost, and to minimise heat loss as well.
Furthermore, though conduit isn't exactly cheap, it does make it so much easier to access the pipes later for repairs or modifications.
Dunk

what regulations are their about the ch feed and return pipes leaving the main house and going underground. I suppose the best way is to take them down in the house first and then out through footings.
Can you go out the wall and then down? - I suppose the only risk here is that they would be exposed to the elements and are prone to freezing?

Another question - I have had to dig a trench for electric cables running from house to garage - can the ch heating pipes run in the same channel or is this not allowed?

Sponsored Links
Are you building new or converting existing?

If you are building new then I assume you have the building inspector involved anyway and he will tell you what you need to ensure. When you applied for the building notification your plans were passed, yes? The plans should have covered all the requirements for insulation, ventilation and heating etc and so should be able to answer the questions you now have.

If you are converting existing then you should also have the BI involved. If your garage is single skin it should not be heated by a central heating radiator, rather an electric heater should be used. This assumes that you will at some point want to sell the house so require any work you do now to be properly documented for the future. If you don't then the answer to any question you have is entirely up to you!!

Single length plastic pipes are prefered. Pipes run underground should be ducted in, say, a 110mm drain pipe. This should be at least 150mm deep and protected from any potential loads above (like a car driving over). All pipes must be properly lagged per part F etc etc

I am building new. The plans are passed but we didint need building regs as the garage is under 30sq meters. The building is going to be a garage but its going to be built with a cavity wall and insulated as best as possible. We plan to use the room as a kids play room in the future - kids only young at the moment.
I will discuss with my builder and run pipes inside a duct etc

thanks

You mean you didn't need planning permission. You still have to comply with the regs, that's why they are there!

No, as the OP says the building regs approvals aren't required in an extention of under 30 sq m that satisfies certain conditions.

One of those conditions is that the heating in the extention is independantly controllable from that in the main building.

It is 'exempt' as long as it complies where it should. For instance on heating, as I had already said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back