Underground services to outbuilding advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m having an extension built on my house and whilst the footings are exposed would like to run utilities to the detached garage 2m away in case of a future garage conversion.

I’ll leave them unconnected at both ends so essentially empty pipes and cables running underground from under the kitchen sink to inside the garage.

What kinds of pipe and conduit would you recommend in terms of spec/insulation etc. I’ll only need 2-4m lengths. I’d like the potential to hook up to:

1. Central heating
2. Hot & cold water.
3. Electricity will be sorted by the spark
4. Cat-6 cable as I have some spare.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Couple of 110mm soil pipes, empty, with 2x45° bends to form 90° swept bends as required and with a loop of rope passed through would cover you for future eventualities.

Other solutions are available, but I've never found anywhere to buy the ducting they use for street work in small quantities.

a length of field drain with some ropes through for when you want to pull your services through and always tie new rope on and you will never need to dig anything up again

Use a few lengths of 25mm mdpe water pipe. You can just push through 15mm at a later date. Much easier than the corrugated or you,need to string them.

Sponsored Links
Couple of 110mm soil pipes, empty, with 2x45° bends to form 90° swept bends as required and with a loop of rope passed through would cover you for future eventualities.

Other solutions are available, but I've never found anywhere to buy the ducting they use for street work in small quantities.

We've done this a couple of times and works well.

Have also used the conduit you mentioned and it was a pita, and expensive.

Next time we'll use soil pipe.

The only advantage the conduit had was getting laid in a tight spot where you'd have to use couplings with soil pipe.

Thanks everyone for your help, looks like 110mm pipe is the best option so we'll get some of that put in. Cheers!

Thanks everyone for your help, looks like 110mm pipe is the best option so we'll get some of that put in. Cheers!

Make sure you cap the ends of everything to stop crap getting in and lag the water pipes with foam insulation as you push them through the soil pipe. He p20 or Speedfit from a roll will be fine probably good idea to keep the data cable separate from the 240v and both from the water pipes... Use 2 conduits or 2" waste for those maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back