joining armoured cable underground

Sponsored Links
525.1/2 in BS7671 set the minimum voltage required by equipment. The requirement is deemed to be met by complying with the voltage drops allowed by Appendix 12. These voltage drops have necessarily been set to cater for the worst case supply at times of peak demand, i.e. the general case. However, the OP’s case is not general; it is specific, so the volt drop calculations are not necessarily the appropriate way of complying with 525.1/2; the standard calculation may result in unnecessary expense.

The standard calculation allows a worst case voltage at lighting fittings of 209.3V, assuming a consumer’s lowest supply voltage of 216.2V. But this worst case supply implies the consumer is connected at the end of a feeder from the local distribution substation at a peak time of the year and day. For most of the year the voltage will be well above 216.2V. Indeed, the theoretical annual average voltage for such a connection is 243V. All the other connections to the feeder would enjoy a higher minimum voltage, in most cases substantially so. In theory, you could double the lighting volt drop for 80% of connections and still comply with 252.1/2.

It would therefore be reasonable to assess the supply voltage situation before condemning the OP’s proposal because it does not meet the 3% lighting volt drop.

Of course, the fault loop impedance requirement still needs to be met.

all the other electrical information i will pass on to my electrical installer for his benefit.. ;)
If he needs that, you need a new electrician.

i buy the stuff...he does it
Then he is the ONLY one who can tell you what to buy, as that counts as design, and I take it you aren't signing part of a multi-signature EIC to attest that your design complies with BS 7671?

Sponsored Links
all the other electrical information i will pass on to my electrical installer for his benefit.. ;)
If he needs that, you need a new electrician.

i buy the stuff...he does it
Then he is the ONLY one who can tell you what to buy, as that counts as design, and I take it you aren't signing part of a multi-signature EIC to attest that your design complies with BS 7671?

sorry no offence intended... :oops:

How to make a resin cast joint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsOI3ioC11g

I think the bloke makes a mess of cutting the mould, but it proves the system works, even with minor cock ups.

thats a brilliant instruction video
the cable looks a bit larger than mine
do you think i could use a large chock block...which is on the bare end just now as it is still exposed in the garden...the garage has gone
and insulating tape which i got from....wait for it....a shed..
its yellow and green tape
or should i get the one 3M are advocating...

a big thanks ticked for this and puts me in the picture just how important this type of exercise is

cheers
geof :p

How to make a resin cast joint - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsOI3ioC11g

I think the bloke makes a mess of cutting the mould, but it proves the system works, even with minor cock ups.

thats a brilliant instruction video
the cable looks a bit larger than mine
do you think i could use a large chock block...which is on the bare end just now as it is still exposed in the garden...the garage has gone
and insulating tape which i got from....wait for it....a shed..
its yellow and green tape
or should i get the one 3M are advocating...

a big thanks ticked for this and puts me in the picture just how important this type of exercise is

cheers
geof :p

thanks again holmslaw...got it done and wired...no smoke yet ;)

God bless
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back