armoured cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved to a new house and the last owner removed a wooden garage .He disconnected the armoured cable from the main board in the house and cut the cable where it entered the garage.
What I want to know is, can the cable be joined or extended as I would like to use the supply for a new workshop/shed without having to run new cable underground.
The old cable was only put in on June 2008.
Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Osca

Sponsored Links
Will the join be above ground or buried?

Inside the new shed or outside?

As RF said it can be done, but these factors affect how it's done....

Sponsored Links
But those responses ARE helpful. They all ask valid questions that will give the OP solution.

Otherwise we have to guess what the environment is and/or type out pages of possible solutions that will depend on what the installation is - something that cannot be viewed by gazing at a PC.

For instance, you propose a galvanised box for the joint - suppose the joint is outside, you don't mention the IP rating of the galvanised box, but then the rating may not be a factor if the joint is inside.

So first we ask questions which, at first may seem unhelpful, and then come up with a suggestion .

I think that is decidedly harsh and unneccessary.

RF stated that it was possible.

Ban asked questions to ascertain the location of the joint.

I asked if a picture could be posted so that the professionals here could evaluate the situation and then give best advice based on that.

So often we have a situation where we don't have a full picture of the problem and can only guess at what needs to be done.

So, holmslaw, c'mon.....I'd like to know which comments you think unhelpful and why.

EDIT: TTC - apologies: I took so long writing my reply, you beat me to it!!

the original poster must forget all the posturing and tell us what he wants the circuit to acheive. what it is to power?, is it burieD, how long is it etc and then we will recommend something ie a)notify and continue, b)employ a spark or just get some idea of what is going on so that he his not ripped off in b.

To quote Johnny Nash

There are more questions than answers
Pictures in my mind that will not show
There are more questions than answers
And the more I find out the less I know

Sorry for the confusion.
1) Can you post pix of the chopped end /Will do this tomorrow
2) Will the join be above ground or buried? /buried
3)Inside the new shed or outside / It will be outside

The fuse box I have is an old one. It still uses fuse wire. New wiring will be going in at the end of this year but I need to progress ASAP

Thanks Again
Osca

You forgot to link that question with: "Will there be any extraneous conductive parts in the shed?"

yes securespark, i was trying to ascertain competence, if not, then at least an awareness of reallity. not many sheds have the extraneous conductive parts but it is possible. :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back