What rating of armoured cable is needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want to instal an electric supply to a small out house come workshop and need a the correct rating of armoured cable.
I would be running a small freezer and a condenser tumble dryer plus 2 lights and 2 or 3 double sockets for 1 or 2 hand power tools like a drill and a saw.
The cable would run under ground ( 17meters ) and be connected to the main CU.All work would be getting done by a qualified electrician.
I have a chance of buying armoured cable at cost but I don't know the rating I need. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Osca

Sponsored Links
PART-P, PART-P, PART-P..... oh wait, you're in Glasgow... :oops:

If you're getting it done by a sparky, let him get it.. he will probably get it cheaper than you.. unless by cost you mean cost of raw ores and oil... :)

He'll get a discount from the wholesalers and will pass some, if not all of this onto you..

If you can get cable at cost then I would check with your spark to see a) if he can't get it for a better price b) that he is happy with the size of the cable (if he is not happy then he will not sign off the work).
You said the run was 17 meters underground, is that the total run from CU to CU? If not then I may have to rework the size.

I assumed a 20m run
6KW load (assumed, your spark will be able to make a more informed decision about this)
3 core PVC SWA
and the answer was 4mm square.

ahh see, you used 3 core didn't you?

the TLC calc assumes that it's 3phase if you use 3 core.. and calculates to suit...

Sponsored Links
ahh see, you used 3 core didn't you?

the TLC calc assumes that it's 3phase if you use 3 core.. and calculates to suit...
I did use the TLC jobbie
If you put in 2 core then you can use 2.5mm

I personally would always go for a 4mm for sheds and outbuildings (unless they are miles away etc). If the OP is getting cable at cost then no reason it can't be 6mm :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back