New electrics to outbuilding and shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if you can help please....

I need to run an electrical supply to 1 outbuilding and my shed. Each will have flourecent tube lighting and the shed will need 2 twin sockets to allow the use of normal powered hand tools and garden machinery like lawnmower and patio pressure washer, so nothing heavy duty.

I was told I would need 'armoured' cable for running cable underground, BUT, with a large area behind the house being concrete, I am looking to run the cable through PVC conduit from house to shed etc, secured to the wall about 4ft off the ground.

Your advice on the correct cable to use would be much appreciated.

One final note, I was thinking of fitting like a 'garage rcd unit' in the shed and then supplies to the sockets from that. Would that be the correct thing to do?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Sponsored Links
I would still use SWA cleated to the wall.

As for the size of this cable, before this can be decided, the length of the run needs to be known.

Where do you intend to take the feed from?

Thanks Lectrician,

The cable will be run from the MCB under the stairs in our house to to outbuilding and then the shed. Total run length from MCB to furthest point (Shed) is approx 20mtrs.

Reading the other reply, do I need to get a qualified electrician to go over my planned work before I start or to check over completed work?

I want to cut costs by doing the work myself, but obviously do not want to put anybody that may use the electrics ( What....someone else in my shed......how dare they :eek:) , at any risk.

Sponsored Links
oharaf - the guy has asked a question on a DIY forum, in what context is your reply helpful?

This chap is 100% entitled to do the work himself and notify it to his local BC, so why not give him guidance on how to do that and to make a good safe job so it passes inspection?

I really am getting sick of the sparks on this forum who feel they have to scaremonger all posters into going to a sparks for any job thats notifiable.

thanks for your support galliano2001.

I know everyone has to make a living, but some of us in the world cannot afford to have the whole job done by professionals and/or people like oharaf, hence the request for guidance and information. Thanks again.

Reading the other reply, do I need to get a qualified electrician to go over my planned work before I start or to check over completed work?
Neither.

You either:
1. Notify building control and pay the required fee before starting any work.
2. Have the works done by a registered competent person, who will do the notification for you. www.competentperson.co.uk

the thing is that with small jobs it is earier to pay a sparky and have no worries about the job rather than pay the couple of hundred pounds to the LABC and do it yourself, the only time i tihnk the DIY'er could save any worthy amount of cash is on a full house rewire and then do they really want to do that much work?

Before the op does anything i would suggest that the get three quotes from registered competent sparks. Also find out your LABC are going to charge you and add the cost of your materials to that to see what is cheapest.

what i am getting at is that the amount you may actually save may not be significant for you to do the job yourself.

Good luck with the project ;)

oharaf - the guy has asked a question on a DIY forum, in what context is your reply helpful?

This chap is 100% entitled to do the work himself and notify it to his local BC, so why not give him guidance on how to do that and to make a good safe job so it passes inspection?
1) Because he cannot learn what he needs to know by asking here only about the things he thinks he needs to know - the old "unknown unknowns" problem?

2) Because he's already asked once about this cable-in-PVC-conduit idea, and is ignoring the advice he was given?

Your electrician who will be certifying these notafiable works is the person to ask!!

what a jobs worth !! F.Y.I oharaf im just about to do a full rewire in my 3 bedroom house as being advised by my electricain friend !!!! who... at the end of the job will complete the final connections at the board and certify the job .....as i did to him when he wanted to put his own heating system in and i came along at the end and tested the gas and commisioned the boiler .... thats what friends are for eh !!!! mind you ...you probably dont have..... oh .......never mind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back