explorer

B

breezer

if i leave my pc on for a few hours but not actyualy sitting here, windows explorer "goes to sleep" in that any url i ask for or any refresh it then decides is unavailable.

outlook express on the other hand is is quite happy to send and receive email.

I have BB, via a D-Link router

the only way i can get everthing to work is to reboot pc

any suggestions?

I can also disable the router connection, re establish it and that does not change the situatioin

i have win xp pro

Sponsored Links
Can you confirm if its a laptop or desktop and if the connection is wired or wireless?

hi, sorry for the late reply, desktop, wireless / plug in a cable router

i opted to plug in the cable (always have)

firewall is zonealarm, i also chose not to tick the windows firewall option

Sponsored Links
read that, seems to be saying zone alarm is no use, and is the cause of the problem.

odd thing is i never had the problem with my stingray modem, but that cant handle my BB speed since BT up graded it

If email is working and browser is not, it could be that port 80 is being blocked. There was a recent thread where zone alarm was the problem, but this was due to a bad install. It might be worth uninstalling it. If you have a router with built in firewall, then a software firewall should not be necessary.

Edit. Doc posted a link to the thread.

I did read the previous post.

i have removed zone alarm, i will leave pc on all night and check again in the morning.

incase my router has no internal fire wall, any one tried clicky

or recomend any other free fire wall?

In it's native state, your router will act as a natural firewall as it isn't exposing your internal ip address (unless you have managed to switch NAT off, which I doubt).

I wouldn't recommend any software firewall in that case, but others may disagree.

Thanks.

and i have left the pc on all night and i was able to come to this page with out having to re boot :D

odd thing is, when i had my "stingray" BB modem with zone alarm, it never caused this problem, longest i left it on for was 14 days

I changed because the sting ray modem can not:

have more than one pc on at a time

handle more than 2MB connection speed

The problem is not with the router, it's with the software firewall. They are generally a pain in the rear and can be upset by other software.

Sponsored Links
Back