Internet but not microsoft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit strange. When I switch my computer on, it loads up and I let it finish before doing anything. *Sometimes*, when I go to check my email via Outlook Express, it gets my ntlworld account fine, but my 2 hotmail accounts it says are unavailable. If I go to Internet Explorer, it too is unavailable.

If I close down and re-boot everything is fine. OR if I log-out and come back in everything is fine.

Can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
This is a bit strange. When I switch my computer on, it loads up and I let it finish before doing anything. *Sometimes*, when I go to check my email via Outlook Express, it gets my ntlworld account fine, but my 2 hotmail accounts it says are unavailable. If I go to Internet Explorer, it too is unavailable.

If I close down and re-boot everything is fine. OR if I log-out and come back in everything is fine.

Can anyone help me?

What operating system are you using. What do you mean by If I go to Internet Explorer, it too is unavailable ?. What version of IE are you using, etc, etc, questions questions !

Yes, sorry, I should've mentioned these before.

I have Windows XP. IE is v6. By unavailable I mean the toolbar comes up, but nothing appears in the main screen, it just stays blank.

The next time it does it, would taking a screenshot help?

Delete your cookies and temp internet files then run adaware or spybot to check for spyware

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I do keep my computer pretty clean. I use Ad-Aware and Spybot and also Norton SystemWorks.

I did all this anyway, but a few days later (I have no idea if this is a factor - websites I visit etc) it happened again.

Here are my screenshots:

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/ie.JPG

"Detecting proxy settings..." and just freezes.

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/oe.JPG

Just won't get the hotmail accounts.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

is it because you have a lan connection set up? i get my email via my "dial up connection" (although its actually broad band)

Can you tell us how you are connecting to the Internet and give details of Internet firewall s/w you are using?

Yes, my internet is NTL cable broadband (so nothing to do with the phone).

My firewall is from Norton. I set it so it asks me what to do when anything new happens. Is that enough detail?

I am not sure what s/w stands for.

This problem is strange in that it is intermittent.

OK so my firewall is Norton as previously mentioned. Other software includes: Word, Excel, Finale, TabEdit, Cool Edit Pro.

think they wanted to know what o/s you use and what is your email client

eg. windows xx and outlook distress

Try turning the firewall off temporarily, see what happens. (Apart from getting bombarded with worms viruses, adware etc :LOL:)

Check with NTL as it may be a routing issue. Also check your firewall and Windows event logs for further clues.

Sponsored Links
Back