Expose roof on pitched single storey room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would welcome some advise on the general feasibility for an idea I have.
House is 6 yrs old. Has single storey room with pitched slate tile roof over kitchen and garage (kitchen and garage side by side).

I would like to knock through from kitchen to garage and use this as one room. As garage is within main house walls are brick / breezeblock and insulated. Floor levels are the same.

I can't add windows on garage wall as this faces onto neighbours property. I don't know but would hope I could fit velux windows in the ceiling to provide light.

The roof is trussed so ideally I would like to remove the truss and ceiling to maximise the light but suspect this will kill the project due to cost.

So - my question is can this be done cost effectively without removing roof and starting again - and if so how ? (purlins / steel work ? )

As a guide the combined room size with pitched roof is approx 22ft wide (and 14ft long over garage , down to 8ft over kitchen).

If it can't then I presume I could fit velux and retain ceiling and plaster board from ceiling up to roof - but I am struggling to visualise how this would work with windows from both sides of the pitched roof ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back