Opinions needed...Roof Windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, after some opinions please.

Building a single storey extension - 7m wide x 4m out. It has a dual pitch roof that goes away from the house and back down again (upside down V). Pitch is 30 degree so internal ceiling height about 1m from wall plate in highest point.

There will be a set of 5m wide glass doors and a window on the side walls.

What are your thoughts on NOT having roof windows? Do you think there will be enough light with the glass doors alone? Or would it be better to add say 2 equally spaced Velux windows?

I have been trying to find photos of a dual pitch roof internally that doesn't have any roof windows.

My concern is that the velux windows may break up the continuity of the ceiling and break the roof/room up into sections thus making it feel lower/smaller.

But then again I know they are in fashion and do bring in light.

I appreciate it is a personal choice but perhaps you could give your opinion on this design.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not so much about the need for extra daylight, the glass doors and windows will provide more than enough. An open vaulted ceiling can look very plain. I find inserting some rooflights or patent glazing and/or maybe some feature timber trusses makes all the difference between a boring extension and something quite special.

Is there no other way to do the roof? Having a internal valley is just horrible for maintenance, they always seem to leak as they get full of moss, footballs etc.
If you don't want roof lights you could drop a false ceiling in the middle to give it a bit of interest.

Sponsored Links
I think you have either got to embrace the pitched roof and make the vaulted ceiling into a feature or just stick a flat roof on it.

As for the "valley"/tapered box gutter, they do require careful detailing but provided they are built correctly with suitable outlets they should not give any problems.

It is not so much about the need for extra daylight, the glass doors and windows will provide more than enough. An open vaulted ceiling can look very plain. I find inserting some rooflights or patent glazing and/or maybe some feature timber trusses makes all the difference between a boring extension and something quite special.
Does a vaulted plain ceiling really look more plain than a flat plain ceiling then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back