Conservatory Roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at options for a conservatory and have found several companies that provide solid roof systems instead of traditional glass etc. These interest us as we could perhaps get year-round use from the extra space. The conservatory would have a simple pitched roof, be 5mx4mx3m to fall within PD (detached). The 4m side wall of largely bifolding doors, and the 5m wall will either be all window or Windows on a dwarf wall. Other side 4m wall needs to be opaque as it overlooks neighbours.

Has anyone used these or can suggest good systems?

Sponsored Links
I can't suggest any systems, but you should be aware that under the building regulations for conservatories, at least 75% of the roof must be glass / poly-carbonate or similar. Any less and it ceases to be a conservatory and will be classed as an extension requiring planning permission. Also, if the 'development' will cover the windows / external doors of a room it will make it very dark inside.

I can't suggest any systems, but you should be aware that under the building regulations for conservatories, at least 75% of the roof must be glass / poly-carbonate or similar. Any less and it ceases to be a conservatory and will be classed as an extension requiring planning permission. Also, if the 'development' will cover the windows / external doors of a room it will make it very dark inside.
That's outdated stem, check out the various threads in the Buiding Regs section of the forum.

I'd heard all of this before, but it raises a question.

We have a conservatory and, like most conservatories, it is often too hot in summer and far too cold in winter. For that reason I have, in the past, thought about converting it to a roofed extension as described.

Although it would be classed as an extension, there is no outside access to the back of our house and no-one, neighbours included, can see it. If I did do the deed, then, and didn't bother about the planning permission, what could possibly happen? Unless the local council take to using drones to spy on their electorate (and I wouldn't put it past them!) no-one would know.

Sponsored Links
Why not convert it and call it a roofed porch which would be exempt from building regs

30m2 but it is somewhat a grey area with regards clarification of a porch to the rear of a property but one perhaps worth arguing if required. Details are on the planning portal including building regs.

I have a self build wickes hardwood conservatory that I built 25 years ago.
The side that overlooks the neighbour's (fence) is solid as in shiplap wood with a 3x1 ventilator window quite high.

The wall is timber/rockwool/plasterboard
The panels are floor to ceiling glass
The roof is Triple wall plastic- one hatch type roof vent
No heating - south facing

It gets too cold to use in the winter, not surprising, but on sunny days warms up a lot, so Autumn and Spring are extended.
Worst case, in summer, it gets very hot
I would assume that an electric heater would work in cold weather but the benefit would disappear as soon as it's turned off.

Roof blinds and window blinds make a heck of a difference.
I have normall white roller blinds on the windows and home made roof blinds that run on wires and were made from rattan (?) Roman blinds

I tend to think that no matter what they say about solid roofs, it won't do much to keep heat in when the main body is glass. But it may make a real difference to summer temp

Replacing the obscure glass with some kind of insulated panel might help a bit?

30m2 but it is somewhat a grey area with regards clarification of a porch to the rear of a property but one perhaps worth arguing if required. Details are on the planning portal including building regs.

That's quite generous, actually, for a porch. Ours might just fit within that.
Of course, as long as the busybodies in the council don't get to see it I couldn't care less.

It gets too cold to use in the winter, not surprising, but on sunny days warms up a lot, so Autumn and Spring are extended.
Worst case, in summer, it gets very hot

In my experience, Summer isn't much of a problem. On really hot days we just open the windows and the double doors. That makes it quite comfortable.

Winter is another matter, though. Any attempt at trying to heat it would be like trying to heat up the air outside. I won't throw money away like that.

I am going to be living in an area where planning are known to be "tight" (Dartmoor) so I am keen to stick within PD and BC excemption where possible rather than stir up a hornets nest. Hence a solid roof system and conservatory or porch status interests me. I was looking for feedback from those who have one so I could get a good (not necessarily cheap) one

I have heard good reports on external optical films. Unlike blinds, the heat stays on the outside. It's expensive though.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back