Exposed Aggregate Path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at making a new path in my garden and wanted something a little different to concrete or paving slabs.
I've discovered a style of stones set in mortar which (i think) looks rather nice and would be ideal for the style of garden swmbo is trying to create, something like these:

a64f25d498afb0144db52e65b382c5de.jpg

70e679743c7d8932476d9fb29510bbe7.jpg

e249843ab173fc03ffe1a861489fc710.jpg

Has anyone got any experience of doing this?

i'm wondering if it would be better to:

- mix the stones in with the mortar, pour in the channel and flatten, pressure wash mortar off top of stones to expose nice surface

or

- pour the mortar in and place the stone in one by one

advice appreciated (y)

Sponsored Links
The top one is without doubt pebbles pressed into a concrete or screed mix individually. It is an enormous amount of work but completely individual.

The bottom two look like exposed aggregate concrete. It can be done in two ways;

1. You trowel your concrete as normal and as its firming up you broadcast stone onto the surface and tamp them in.

2. You use the coloured gravel in your mix and then level and float the surface (dont tamp it) and as the bleed water is gone you spray on a surface retarder. Then the next morning you use a powerhose or just hose and stiff brush to remove the cement and sand from the top 5mm or so to leave the exposed stone.

It is a very hardwearing and quality surface and as long as your comfortable working with concrete it is not difficult, as with all concrete the key is in the timings.

1. is probably easier but will give a much poorer result with the stone being much more loosely incorperated.

2. More expensive because you have to use decorative gravel in your concrete mix so on a small area you can mix yourself its no problem but if you buy a readymix for a bigger area then the concrete company will charge a premium for mixing special aggregate. It is without doubt stronger and more durable.

The main thing to consider is whether or not you can confidently screed and float concrete without putting dips and hollows in it and you only get one chance and its possible to leave areas where water will puddle. If you can afford to put a decent fall on the concrete, say 1:40 or more then you can negate this danger.

Overall its a very good value surface and is becoming increasingly popular in commercial works. I have used it on a few jobs and at my own house. If you need any specific advice go ahead and ask.

Thanks for such a detailed reply!

I'm thinking of going down the route of placing the mortar in the channel, flattening it and lightly pressing the stones into the surface.

I'm certainly no expert in concrete floating and mixing the stones in with the mortar sounds like a lot of faff to get the finish looking good.

My aim was just to have a gravel path but I want the stones to be fixed, I hate to see gravel being flung all over the place, so setting it in mortar seemed a wise idea.

Sponsored Links
Aco Groundguard - I've used them to good effect, filled with 10mm pebbles (pea beach )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back