Exposed beams and hiding services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning,

Just can't stop creating more work for myself and have decided to pull down the old plaster in my living room ceiling and am intending to plaster between the beams to leave them exposed.

However, have some services running between some of the joists in the present void. What are my options?

Should I fix the plaster board to the beams so that I leave a few inches cavity (to carry cables, etc.) between the new ceiling and floorboards above? If so, how best do I do that?

Many thanks in advance for any help, Richard

Sponsored Links
You could put batten half way up the joists or however much you can, nail plaster board strips in between and then you got joists showing in your room, with "ceiling" in between. Take care not to damage cables/pipes

you may have herring bone strutting at mid span. if you remove this, then be prepared for maybe some twisting of the joists

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back